Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Proust GZ Feng <pf...@cn.ibm.com> on 2015/07/28 06:19:30 UTC

NO Cygwin Support in bin/spark-class in Spark 1.4.0

Hi, Spark Users

Looks like Spark 1.4.0 cannot work with Cygwin due to the removing of
Cygwin support in bin/spark-class

The changeset is
https://github.com/apache/spark/commit/517975d89d40a77c7186f488547eed11f79c1e97#diff-fdf4d3e600042c63ffa17b692c4372a3

The changeset said "Add a library for launching Spark jobs
programmatically", but how to use it in Cygwin?
I'm wondering any solutions available to make it work in Windows?

Thanks
Proust

Re: NO Cygwin Support in bin/spark-class in Spark 1.4.0

Posted by Proust GZ Feng <pf...@cn.ibm.com>.
Thanks Vanzin, spark-submit.cmd works

Thanks
Proust

From:   Marcelo Vanzin <va...@cloudera.com>
To:     Proust GZ Feng/China/IBM@IBMCN
Cc:     Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>, user <us...@spark.apache.org>
Date:   07/29/2015 10:35 AM
Subject:        Re: NO Cygwin Support in bin/spark-class in Spark 1.4.0

Can you run the windows batch files (e.g. spark-submit.cmd) from the
cygwin shell?

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 7:26 PM, Proust GZ Feng <pf...@cn.ibm.com> wrote:
Hi, Owen

Add back the cygwin classpath detection can pass the issue mentioned
before, but there seems lack of further support in the launch lib, see
below stacktrace

LAUNCH_CLASSPATH:
C:\spark-1.4.0-bin-hadoop2.3\lib\spark-assembly-1.4.0-hadoop2.3.0.jar
java -cp
C:\spark-1.4.0-bin-hadoop2.3\lib\spark-assembly-1.4.0-hadoop2.3.0.jar
org.apache.spark.launcher.Main org.apache.spark.deploy.SparkSubmit
--driver-class-path ../thirdparty/lib/db2-jdbc4-95fp6a/db2jcc4.jar
--properties-file conf/spark.properties
target/scala-2.10/price-scala-assembly-15.4.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalStateException: Library
directory 'C:\c\spark-1.4.0-bin-hadoop2.3\lib_managed\jars' does not
exist.
        at
org.apache.spark.launcher.CommandBuilderUtils.checkState(CommandBuilderUtils.java:229)

        at
org.apache.spark.launcher.AbstractCommandBuilder.buildClassPath(AbstractCommandBuilder.java:215)

        at
org.apache.spark.launcher.AbstractCommandBuilder.buildJavaCommand(AbstractCommandBuilder.java:115)

        at
org.apache.spark.launcher.SparkSubmitCommandBuilder.buildSparkSubmitCommand(SparkSubmitCommandBuilder.java:192)

        at
org.apache.spark.launcher.SparkSubmitCommandBuilder.buildCommand(SparkSubmitCommandBuilder.java:117)

        at org.apache.spark.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:74)

Thanks
Proust

From:        Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>
To:        Proust GZ Feng/China/IBM@IBMCN
Cc:        user <us...@spark.apache.org>
Date:        07/28/2015 06:54 PM

Does adding back the cygwin detection and this clause make it work?

if $cygwin; then
 CLASSPATH="`cygpath -wp "$CLASSPATH"`"
fi

If so I imagine that's fine to bring back, if that's still needed.

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 9:49 AM, Proust GZ Feng <pf...@cn.ibm.com> wrote:
> Thanks Owen, the problem under Cygwin is while run spark-submit under
1.4.0,
> it simply report
>
> Error: Could not find or load main class org.apache.spark.launcher.Main
>
> This is because under Cygwin spark-class make the LAUNCH_CLASSPATH as
> "/c/spark-1.4.0-bin-hadoop2.3/lib/spark-assembly-1.4.0-hadoop2.3.0.jar"
> But under Cygwin java in Windows cannot recognize the classpath, so
below
> command simply error out
>
>  java -cp
> /c/spark-1.4.0-bin-hadoop2.3/lib/spark-assembly-1.4.0-hadoop2.3.0.jar
> org.apache.spark.launcher.Main
> Error: Could not find or load main class org.apache.spark.launcher.Main
>
> Thanks
> Proust
>

> From:        Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>
> To:        Proust GZ Feng/China/IBM@IBMCN
> Cc:        user <us...@spark.apache.org>
> Date:        07/28/2015 02:20 PM
> Subject:        Re: NO Cygwin Support in bin/spark-class in Spark 1.4.0
> ________________________________
>

> It wasn't removed, but rewritten. Cygwin is just a distribution of
> POSIX-related utilities so you should be able to use the normal .sh
> scripts. In any event, you didn't say what the problem is?
>
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 5:19 AM, Proust GZ Feng <pf...@cn.ibm.com>
wrote:
>> Hi, Spark Users
>>
>> Looks like Spark 1.4.0 cannot work with Cygwin due to the removing of
>> Cygwin
>> support in bin/spark-class
>>
>> The changeset is

https://github.com/apache/spark/commit/517975d89d40a77c7186f488547eed11f79c1e97#diff-fdf4d3e600042c63ffa17b692c4372a3

>> The changeset said "Add a library for launching Spark jobs
>> programmatically", but how to use it in Cygwin?
>> I'm wondering any solutions available to make it work in Windows?
>>

>> Thanks
>> Proust

Marcelo

Re: NO Cygwin Support in bin/spark-class in Spark 1.4.0

Posted by Marcelo Vanzin <va...@cloudera.com>.
> [...]

> > ________________________________
> >

> > It wasn't removed, but rewritten. Cygwin is just a distribution of
> > POSIX-related utilities so you should be able to use the normal .sh
> > scripts. In any event, you didn't say what the problem is?
> >
> > On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 5:19 AM, Proust GZ Feng <pf...@cn.ibm.com>
> wrote:
> >> Hi, Spark Users
> >>
> >> Looks like Spark 1.4.0 cannot work with Cygwin due to the removing of
> >> Cygwin
> >> support in bin/spark-class
> >>
> >> The changeset is
> >>

> https://github.com/apache/spark/commit/517975d89d40a77c7186f488547eed11f79c1e97#diff-fdf4d3e600042c63ffa17b692c4372a3
> >>
> >> The changeset said "Add a library for launching Spark jobs
> >> programmatically", but how to use it in Cygwin?
> >> I'm wondering any solutions available to make it work in Windows?

Marcelo

Re: NO Cygwin Support in bin/spark-class in Spark 1.4.0

From:   Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>
To:     Proust GZ Feng/China/IBM@IBMCN
Cc:     user <us...@spark.apache.org>
Date:   07/28/2015 06:54 PM

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.

From:   Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>
To:     Proust GZ Feng/China/IBM@IBMCN
Cc:     user <us...@spark.apache.org>
Date:   07/28/2015 02:20 PM

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Proust GZ Feng <pf...@cn.ibm.com>.
Although I'm not sure how valuable Cygwin support it is, at least the
release notes need mention that Cygwin is not supported by design from
1.4.0

>From the description of the changeset, looks like remove the supporting is
not intended by the author

Thanks
Proust

From:   Sachin Naik <sa...@gmail.com>
To:     Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>
Cc:     Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>, Proust GZ
Feng/China/IBM@IBMCN, "user@spark.apache.org" <us...@spark.apache.org>
Date:   07/29/2015 05:05 AM

I agree with Sean - using virtual box on windows and using linux vm is a
lot easier than trying to circumvent the cygwin oddities. a lot of
functionality might not work in cygwin and you will end up trying to do
back patches. Unless there is a compelling reason - cygwin support seems
not required

@sachinnaik from iphone

Posted by Sachin Naik <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.