Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Jose María Zaragoza <de...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/17 10:27:23 UTC

maxConnections in org.apache.activemq.pool.PooledConnectionFactory

Hello:

I'm using AMQ 5.8 and I would like to undertand the meaning of
maxConnections  in org.apache.activemq.pool.PooledConnectionFactory

About Java doc,

"the maximum number to pooled Connections that this factory will allow
before it begins to return connections from the pool on calls to"

but I don't understand it

If I've got maxConnections = 10

What happens if all connections are in use and a client requests for a
connection ( the 11th)  from PooledConnectionFactory ?

Should be this parameter low or high for good performance ?

Thanks adn regards

Re: maxConnections in org.apache.activemq.pool.PooledConnectionFactory

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
On 10/17/2013 04:27 AM, Jose María Zaragoza wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I'm using AMQ 5.8 and I would like to undertand the meaning of
> maxConnections  in org.apache.activemq.pool.PooledConnectionFactory
>
> About Java doc,
>
> "the maximum number to pooled Connections that this factory will allow
> before it begins to return connections from the pool on calls to"
>
> but I don't understand it
>
> If I've got maxConnections = 10
>
> What happens if all connections are in use and a client requests for a
> connection ( the 11th)  from PooledConnectionFactory ?
>
> Should be this parameter low or high for good performance ?
>
> Thanks adn regards

When the max connections are reached the pool will begin to cycle
through the original ten connection again from the beginning.

Performance is a tough thing to guess at, your best bet is to profile
your application using a variety of settings since you are the one who
knows best what you application is doing.

--
Tim Bish
Sr Software Engineer | RedHat Inc.