Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by "Citron, David" <dc...@sonusnet.com> on 2008/11/05 17:32:00 UTC

Database-backed persistence plans?

Hi!

I have implemented database-backed persistence by writing my own Guice
module and overriding the bindings for ActivityService, PersonService,
and AppDataService to use a class I wrote that does JDBC (Oracle)
store/retrieve operations (I guess I missed prefs--need to do that too).

Of course I then have to update web.xml to load my Guice module and make
sure my custom library is in Shindig's classpath.

I was wondering if there are any plans to support out-of-the-box
integration with JDBC instead of the default in-memory map
implementation, or if what I did is the intended approach.

Thanks!
Dave

Re: Database-backed persistence plans?

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
David,
There is a JPA implementation in the java/samples directory.
Why JPA?
Probably because it doesnt have to bind to an specific DB or ORM
supplier, only javax.persistence.*
but straight JDBC is just as valid. I didn't fancy writing the mass
of crud code necessary to allow update of everything, but good on you
for making the effort!

Ian