Posted to solr-dev@lucene.apache.org by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org> on 2008/08/31 23:02:21 UTC

DIH example configs?

reading over the DIH docs on the wiki, i notced that the "example" DIH
configs are in a JAR attached to the wiki page ... is there any reason why
they aren't just committed in svn?

-Hoss

Re: DIH example configs?

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
I have added the DIH example config/data to both trunk and branch.

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 12:23 PM, Shalin Shekhar Mangar <
shalinmangar@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 10:30 AM, Chris Hostetter <hossman_lucene@fucit.org
> > wrote:
>
>> Seriously? ... oh hell yeah, i assumed the DB was already compressed.
>> 15+650K for the DB and driver both? ... no brainer, put them in -- it's
>> worth it to have an easy to use self contained demo.
>>
>> Do we want to do this on the 1.3 branch?  It seems low risk (no code
>> changes, just adding demo configs/data)
>

> I shall do it in trunk first then merge with the branch.
>

>> (the hsqldb.jar is an approved licsense right?)
>>

> We don't know, it doesn't figure in the resolved faq page (
> http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html). We can just put a README and
> add an instruction to download hsqldb jar from the website.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: DIH example configs?

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.

Re: DIH example configs?

Re: DIH example configs?

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 10:46 AM, Chris Hostetter
<ho...@fucit.org>wrote:

> I hadn't noticed the full hsqldb directory, I was mainly just refering to
> the "solr home" configs for demoing DIH.  (i assumed the size of the jar
> was because of the solr.war inside)
>
> the example configs should definitely be in svn.  if nothing else so they
> are included in the releases sa exactly what they are: examples.
>
> The hsqldb data (and driver? ... oh, i see it's baked into the war) are a
> a seperate question.  The hsqldb driver is tiny, as long as the license is
> ok we can include it (no different then the way the main example includes
> jetty) ... as for the prepopulated DB: couldn't we store that data in SVN
> as flat text files and generate the DB at build time?  i'm not opposed to
> putting the 1.1MB hsqldb in the release.

The compressed database size is 15K so we can easily put the compressed
version in an example folder. We can give instructions to download hsqldb
jar and put it into $solr.home/lib directory and put the DataImportHandler
config in solrconfig.xml as a comment which can be enabled if needed. We can
also include hsqldb jar itself since it is only 650KB.

> Alternately: is there a JDBC Driver that can treate CSV files as tables?
> We don't need all the features HSQLDB provides just for the simple example
> right?

Yeah, there are few I found with a quick search but not much activity there.
Licenses are LGPL/GPL.
http://csvjdbc.sourceforge.net/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xlsql/

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: DIH example configs?

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: The example contains a pre-populated hsql databse and the hsql driver
: to make it easy to demonstrate the features of DIH. It can be checked
: in, but , should it be a part of standard distribution ? will it not

Re: DIH example configs?

Posted by Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् <no...@gmail.com>.
The example contains a pre-populated hsql databse and the hsql driver
to make it easy to demonstrate the features of DIH. It can be checked
in, but , should it be a part of standard distribution ? will it not
make the distribution unnecessarily heavy for the users who do not
wish to use it? Or should it be a separate package?
Your inputs are welcome

--
--Noble Paul