Posted to general@commons.apache.org by "B. W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@red-bean.com> on 2002/10/24 14:24:28 UTC

Re: Branding

scolebourne@btopenworld.com writes:
> >  from:    Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>
> > On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 10:58:51AM  0100, scolebourne@btopenworld.com wrote
> :
> > > jakarta.apache.org/commons
> > > or
> > > commons.apache.org/java
> > >
> > How about:
> >
> > commons.apache.org/jakarta/
>
> That doesn't really change much. And is probably more confusing.
>
> Another way to look at it:
> Our full product name is:
>  Apache Jakarta Commons Lang
> Any one of the prefixes can be dropped. This becomes:
>  Apache Commons Java Lang
> Now there is a really confusing 'Java' word in there. The minimum short form
> has to be 'Commons Java Lang'. ('Java Lang' has a whole Sun meaning)
>
> Of course if the flatteners plan to get each jakarta subproject to become a t
> op-level project one by one comes to fruition, then there is really no more J
> akarta anyway. At that point this argument becomes meaningless.

I think that you're confusing interface with implementation here. The
implementation of the ASF structure does not have to mirror the
interface that we present to the public (i.e. users).

On the contrary, I think that laying out a better structure could be
just the catalyst to help the Jakarta Brand (specifically *not* the
project itself) grow much bigger than it currently is.

-Fitz