Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> on 2014/01/13 11:27:34 UTC

Release numbering

Hi,

Just got a doubt, would it not be better if we would not put a 0 ahead of the minor release number? Not a big deal, but it could be confused with a date.
So I would have better R12.04.3 than R12.04.03, do you think it's worth the move?

Jacques

Re: Release numbering

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
+1 for 13.07

Jacques

On Monday, January 13, 2014 12:01 PM, jacopo.cappellato@hotwaxmedia.com wrote

Re: Release numbering

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
I agree it was an unlucky choice... I don't know if it is worth of a change at this point because this may add further confusion.

Jacopo

Re: Release numbering

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Jan 13, 2014, at 7:27 PM, Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Last year it was decided by the committers not to do annual releases
> anymore as it was too much a burden on the declining number of them.

A small but important point: there was no formal vote on this but the general consensus was that, if no big changes were present since the previous year's branch, the community may decide to postpone the creation of the new branch.
Also, we will still issue several releases every year: what we discussed was the creation of new release branches.

Jacopo

Re: Release numbering

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
What 'they' know and whether they can draw parrallels between is a big
thing to ask. Better to ask this in the user ML, where you will surely get
an answert. And not a person participating in this mailing list, who may
not have that indept knowledge.

Anyway, 5 years ago there might have been compelling reasons to follow the
numbering scheme now used. But that doesn't mean that it is still valid.
Last year it was decided by the committers not to do annual releases
anymore as it was too much a burden on the declining number of them. Such a
change would warrant a rethinking of this subject.

Pierre Smits

*ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>*
Services & Solutions for Cloud-
Based Manufacturing, Professional
Services and Retail & Trade
http://www.orrtiz.com

Re: Release numbering

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Re: Release numbering

Re: Release numbering

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
I still prefer the Ubuntu way. It makes sense to me, it adds an information about when the branch was freezed, w/o searching anywhere. Then we need to number minor releases

Jacques

On Monday, January 13, 2014 1:48 PM, pp@ilscipio.com wrote

Re: Release numbering

Re: Release numbering