Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org> on 1999/01/15 23:45:15 UTC

Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/helpers GuessOS PrintPath TestCompile binbuild.sh buildinfo.sh checkheader.sh find-dbm-lib findcpp.sh fmn.sh fp2rp install.sh mkshadow.sh ppl.sh slo.sh

Yes, I realise there were some good changes in jim's patch -- adding ""s
around things.  Unfortunately I'm not willing to accept the rest of the
changes.

Given the variance of shells, I'd half expect there is some shell out
there that will see:

   if [ "$opt" != "" ];

and if $opt has a leading - it'll screw up.

Maybe the common practice of using:

   if [ "x$opt" != "x" ];

isn't really required, but *it is common practice*, and I don't see any
reason for us to go around rooting out broken shells just so that we can
solve some fucking waste of time STYLE DEBATE.  Jesus.

Clearly this config stuff is hard enough that you guys have to futz with
it every revision and make module authors change their tools, and make
folks doing ports change their scripts and make people have to relearn
things every new minor revision.  And given that it's that hard I don't
want one more stupid reason for incompatibilities added to the bunch.

flame away.

Dean