Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl> on 2008/04/02 12:12:57 UTC

GEP: Unable to create a new dynamic web project with Geronimo 2.1

Hi,

I'm working with Eclipse 3.4M5 and the latest GEP built from trunk
yesterday and am unable to define a new Target Runtime in New Dynamic
Web Project wizard with Apache Geronimo v2.1 as a runtime type
although I'm successful when I define a new Geronimo instance in the
Servers view. Am I doing something wrong? Is it a known issue? Which
one?

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.JacekLaskowski.pl

Re: GEP: Unable to create a new dynamic web project with Geronimo 2.1

Posted by Tim McConnell <ti...@gmail.com>.
Thanks much Jacek, I shall look at it immediately....

Jacek Laskowski wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 5:34 PM, Tim McConnell <ti...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Jacek, yes the Geronimo Deployment 1.2 project facet has to be installed
>> in order to deploy to the Geronimo server -- or at least that's the way it
>> currently works. Would you be able to attach your war file so that I can
>> investigate if that is always necessary ?? Thanks much
>
> Thanks Tim. The webapp sent to your gmail account. Just for the
> record, it's a mere webapp with jsf project facet.
>
> Jacek

Tim McConnell

Re: GEP: Unable to create a new dynamic web project with Geronimo 2.1

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

Posted by Tim McConnell <ti...@gmail.com>.

Jacek Laskowski wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 1:53 PM, Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl> wrote:
>
>>  Yes, I know about the pre-req (you commented a recent jira issue about
>>  it, didn't you), but suspected it's not tht hard to run it with 3.4M5.
>>  I think I don't have much choices and will have to give 3.3.2 a try.
>
> Ok, went on testing with 3.3.2 I had downloaded while GEP had been
> built and run into an issue that the very first time I deployed the
> webapp it didn't shop up in the console and right after I applied
> Geronimo deployment project facet and published again it worked fine.
> Do I need the geronimo facet to be able to deploy to Geronimo? The
> webapp is just a simple jsf webapp linked with Geronimo via Add and
> Remove Projects.
>
> Jacek

Tim McConnell

Re: GEP: Unable to create a new dynamic web project with Geronimo 2.1

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 9:51 PM, Tim McConnell <ti...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi again Jacek, would you also look at the assemblies (per
> GERONIMODEVTOOLS-323) to see if they are more what you expect from an
> Eclipse plugin ?? Thanks again....

Fixed one issue with the legal files not being placed in a proper
directory. Apart from it, all looks fine so far. Thanks.

Jacek

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 9:51 PM, Tim McConnell <ti...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi again Jacek, would you also look at the assemblies (per
> GERONIMODEVTOOLS-323) to see if they are more what you expect from an
> Eclipse plugin ?? Thanks again....

I've been building GEP every time it's changed, but switched to
Eclipse 3.3.2 to ensure it would work at all. I've just installed
Eclipse 3.4m6 so I can give it a try with both of them.

Jacek

Posted by Tim McConnell <ti...@gmail.com>.

Tim McConnell wrote:
> Hi Jacek, I believe that GERONIMODEVTOOLS-316 may have been contributing
> to your problem. I am able to deploy/undeploy your war file with no
> problems, and I do not explicitly force installation of the Geronimo
> Deployment 1.2 facet. Would you mind getting the latest GEP and trying
> again ?? I have placed the latest assembly on the unstable site if you
> wish to use that. Please let me know what happens. Thanks much
>

> Jacek Laskowski wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 1:53 PM, Jacek Laskowski
>> <ja...@laskowski.net.pl> wrote:
>>
>>>  Yes, I know about the pre-req (you commented a recent jira issue about
>>>  it, didn't you), but suspected it's not tht hard to run it with 3.4M5.
>>>  I think I don't have much choices and will have to give 3.3.2 a try.
>>
>> Ok, went on testing with 3.3.2 I had downloaded while GEP had been
>> built and run into an issue that the very first time I deployed the
>> webapp it didn't shop up in the console and right after I applied
>> Geronimo deployment project facet and published again it worked fine.
>> Do I need the geronimo facet to be able to deploy to Geronimo? The
>> webapp is just a simple jsf webapp linked with Geronimo via Add and
>> Remove Projects.
>>
>> Jacek

Tim McConnell

Re: GEP: Unable to create a new dynamic web project with Geronimo 2.1

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 5:25 AM, Tim McConnell <ti...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Jacek, Unfortunately, I'm still unable to duplicate your failure. A bare
> dynamic web project with a simple index.jsp deploys and runs fine. Plus, you
> JSF war deploys fine although it does get the following exception (below)
> upon invocation.....

Hi Tim,

The java.lang.RuntimeException: FacesContext not found is a classic
JSF exception when one doesn't pass a request through the FacesServlet
servlet. It does depend on how you configure the servlet, but it's
mostly used in /faces/* configuration. Run it again with
/faces/index.jsp not /index.jsp and it will go away. Nothing to do
with Eclipse, Geronimo or GEP themselves.

> The only recommendation I have at this time is to start
> with a clean Eclipse installation and workspace, and then use the build.xml
> file in trunk to download all the prereqs again. Sorry I can't offer up
> anything better at this time.... Thanks for your patience....

Patience?! You must be kidding. I'll do it with a great pleasure just
to assure I'm right and there is an issue :P

Jacek

Posted by Tim McConnell <ti...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jacek, Unfortunately, I'm still unable to duplicate your failure. A bare
dynamic web project with a simple index.jsp deploys and runs fine. Plus, you JSF
war deploys fine although it does get the following exception (below) upon
invocation..... The only recommendation I have at this time is to start with a
clean Eclipse installation and workspace, and then use the build.xml file in
trunk to download all the prereqs again. Sorry I can't offer up anything better
at this time.... Thanks for your patience....

Apr 4, 2008 11:14:06 PM pl.jaceklaskowski.jsf.renderers.DodajTekstRenderer <init>
INFO: Utworzono renderer
XYZ
23:14:17,309 ERROR [[jsp]] Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw exception
java.lang.RuntimeException: FacesContext not found
	at
javax.faces.webapp.UIComponentClassicTagBase.getFacesContext(UIComponentClassicTagBase.java:238)
	at
javax.faces.webapp.UIComponentClassicTagBase.getPreviousJspIdsSet(UIComponentClassicTagBase.java:1219)
	at
javax.faces.webapp.UIComponentClassicTagBase.checkIfItIsInAnIterator(UIComponentClassicTagBase.java:1204)
	at
javax.faces.webapp.UIComponentClassicTagBase.setJspId(UIComponentClassicTagBase.java:165)
	at org.apache.jsp.index_jsp._jspx_meth_f_005fview_005f0(index_jsp.java:96)
	at org.apache.jsp.index_jsp._jspService(index_jsp.java:71)
	at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:70)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:806)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:388)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:320)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:266)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:806)
	at
	at
	at
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:175)
	at
org.apache.geronimo.tomcat.valve.DefaultSubjectValve.invoke(DefaultSubjectValve.java:56)
	at
org.apache.geronimo.tomcat.GeronimoStandardContext$SystemMethodValve.invoke(GeronimoStandardContext.java:396)
	at
org.apache.geronimo.tomcat.valve.GeronimoBeforeAfterValve.invoke(GeronimoBeforeAfterValve.java:47)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:128)
	at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:102)
	at
	at org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:563)
	at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:263)
	at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:844)
	at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:584)
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:447)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
23:15:20,028 WARN  [RenderConfig] Couldn't find a PageConfig for page ID: [/welcome]
23:16:52,856 ERROR [[jsp]] Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw exception

Jacek Laskowski wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 11:47 PM, Tim McConnell <ti...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Are you getting any errors in either the Eclipse workspace log, the Geronimo
>> server log ??
>
> Attached is the log when I used Run On Server from a bare dynamic web
> project (change zi0 to zip to unpack it)
>
> Jacek

Tim McConnell

Re: GEP: Unable to create a new dynamic web project with Geronimo 2.1

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

Posted by Tim McConnell <ti...@gmail.com>.

Jacek Laskowski wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 9:36 PM, Tim McConnell <ti...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Jacek, I believe that GERONIMODEVTOOLS-316 may have been contributing to
>> your problem. I am able to deploy/undeploy your war file with no problems,
>> and I do not explicitly force installation of the Geronimo Deployment 1.2
>> facet. Would you mind getting the latest GEP and trying again ?? I have
>> placed the latest assembly on the unstable site if you wish to use that.
>> Please let me know what happens. Thanks much
>
> I'm still unable to deploy a dynamic web project without Geronimo
> facet. I work with the latest GEP and Eclipse 3.3.2. I can't find the
> web module deployed onto Geronimo when looking at using console.
>
> Jacek

Tim McConnell

Re: GEP: Unable to create a new dynamic web project with Geronimo 2.1

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

Posted by Tim McConnell <ti...@gmail.com>.

Jacek Laskowski wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 1:53 PM, Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl> wrote:
>
>>  Yes, I know about the pre-req (you commented a recent jira issue about
>>  it, didn't you), but suspected it's not tht hard to run it with 3.4M5.
>>  I think I don't have much choices and will have to give 3.3.2 a try.
>
> Ok, went on testing with 3.3.2 I had downloaded while GEP had been
> built and run into an issue that the very first time I deployed the
> webapp it didn't shop up in the console and right after I applied
> Geronimo deployment project facet and published again it worked fine.
> Do I need the geronimo facet to be able to deploy to Geronimo? The
> webapp is just a simple jsf webapp linked with Geronimo via Add and
> Remove Projects.
>
> Jacek

Tim McConnell

Re: GEP: Unable to create a new dynamic web project with Geronimo 2.1

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 1:28 PM, Shiva Kumar H R <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The pre-req for GEP is still Eclipse 3.3.2 & WTP 2.0.2, an all in one bundle
> of which is available as "Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers" downloadable
> from http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/ . Can you pls test with it and see if
> problem still persists?

Yes, I know about the pre-req (you commented a recent jira issue about
it, didn't you), but suspected it's not tht hard to run it with 3.4M5.
I think I don't have much choices and will have to give 3.3.2 a try.
Thanks.

Jacek

Posted by Shiva Kumar H R <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jacek,

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 3:42 PM, Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm working with Eclipse 3.4M5 and the latest GEP built from trunk
> yesterday and am unable to define a new Target Runtime in New Dynamic
> Web Project wizard with Apache Geronimo v2.1 as a runtime type
> although I'm successful when I define a new Geronimo instance in the
> Servers view. Am I doing something wrong? Is it a known issue? Which
> one?
>
> Jacek
>
> --
> Jacek Laskowski