Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by jude <fl...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/02 08:57:32 UTC

Re: Setting up Flex SDK for development

I was able to get the SDK to build after some time. I took some notes along
the way and I've numbered any discussion points.

TLDR; I was able to setup the SDK for development, updated online tutorial
for installing Flex SDK manually and it needs proofread, and suggested
changes.

I think the README should point to the wiki. (1) I used this page along
with the wiki to get it to finally build,
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/1.2+Setting+up+Manually. I
added a sub page that duplicates the existing page but has some edits and a
few new sections,
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/How+to+setup+the+Flex+SDK+manually+on+Mac.
I didn't want to edit the main page until someone went through my changes
and verified it works (it runs for me but it might not on another system).
Someone can add those back in once it's proofed. If someone wants to go
through that sometime it would be nice. I might make a video tutorial on a
guest account (for OSX) when I get the time or if someone gets to it before
me go ahead. (1.1)

There were a few steps that were new to me that weren't in the
instructions. I moved to OSX a few years ago and I knew very little about
the unix command line. I added instructions on how to check the operating
system path, how to add items to it and how to find the path to a command.
I also had to update the build.properties to not point to playerglobal
11.1. Maybe we could set the full path in the env variable rather than
partial path? (2)

The instructions say to set the JAVA_HOME or ANT_HOME in the env.properties
file but the env.template.properties does not mention anything about them.
Is this because they are already in the operating system path and they can
be left out? (3)

When I ran ant the first time it showed this message which may or may not
be related to the next item. (4)

[available] DEPRECATED - <available> used to override an existing property.
[available]   Build file should not reuse the same property name for
different values.

TLF Home was not reporting the path even though it was set (4):

check-tlf-home:

check-compile-env:
     [echo] OS: Mac OS X...

This may have been intentional where it only does something on a release
build. Whether it is required or not I think it should still show if the
path is correct. I updated the code below which shows the path but is also
might make it required:

    <target name="check-tlf-home" unless="TLF_HOME.set"
        description="Check TLF_HOME is a directory.">

        <echo message="TLF_HOME is ${env.TLF_HOME}"/>

        <available file="${env.TLF_HOME}"
            type="dir"
            property="TLF_HOME.set"/>

        <fail message="TLF_HOME must be set correctly for a release build"
            unless="TLF_HOME.set"/>

    </target>

When I was able to run ant main it seemed to hang at the
download-adobe-flex-sdk section. The screen wouldn't scroll down and
finally I realized it might be asking me to accept a license and I pressed
Y and I think it continued or it might be that I hit Y at the same time the
download finished and the next step occurred. (5)

When I was setting this up I manually downloaded the Flash Player
Projector, AIR SDK, Java, Ant, PixelBender and the few others listed. When
the ant main ran for the first time it said downloading in numerous places
but the lines were blank. Did I have to download those? (6)

check-compile-env:
     [echo] OS: Mac OS X / 10.9.2 / x86_64
     [echo] VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM / 25.0-b70
     [echo] Java: 1.8.0
     [echo] Ant: Apache Ant(TM) version 1.9.3 compiled on December 23 2013
Ant Java Version: 1.8

thirdparty-downloads:

thirdparty-downloads:

pixelbender-check:

pixelbender-download:
    [mkdir] Created dir: /ApacheFlex/source/flex-sdk/in

NTL DR; (not too long did read) The installer is awesome, saves time.

Re: Setting up Flex SDK for development

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.
I was working with a slightly older version where the Flash Player version
check in playerglobal-setswfversion target in /ApacheFlex/source/flex-sdk/
frameworks/build.xml didn't have a listing for FP 12.0. It was only up to
11.8. The latest source in git has this check and one for FP 13. I
backported it for the project I'm working on and it built successfully.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.
Yeah :). If that's the case then I don't know if they there is a scheme
where the release version will coincide with the swf version.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.
To fix the previous error, go to
/ApacheFlex/source/flex-sdk/frameworks/build.xml and search for
playerglobal-setswfversion. Then add additional version checks for the
Flash Player you want to use,

<condition property="playerglobal.swfversion" value="25">
    <equals arg1="${playerglobal.version}" arg2="14.0" />
</condition>

Going forward, it might be more future proof to get the version number, 14,
15, 16, etc and add 11 to it to get the SWF version.

Re: Setting up Flex SDK for development

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.