Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Bart Schaefer <ba...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/01 00:28:09 UTC

Re: White List and Yellow List DNS Servers - Proposal

On 6/30/06, Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com> wrote:
> Who likes this idea?

Evidently habeas.com does, as that's now their business model.  Also
Bonded Sender (I think they changed the name recently, but I forget to
what).  And I believe the ISIPP maintains several such lists.  Do a
Google on "reputation service".

Re: White List and Yellow List DNS Servers - Proposal

Posted by Kevin Golding <ke...@caomhin.demon.co.uk>.
In article <44...@perkel.com>, Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com>
writes
>The idea of this is to improve the blacklisting be creating lists to
>reduce false positives. For example, spamcop has a problem were they
>sometimes block earthlink and google servers because those servers send
>some spam. Using these yellow lists can prevent spamcop from listing
>servers that are known to be servers that should never be blacklisted.

I was under the impression that Spamcop didn't regard listing
earthlink/gmail/hotmail/foo as a problem.  They're smart enough to have
their own internal whitelists that they can handle as they see fit -
those servers don't exactly get listed at the first sign of trouble so
it seems somewhat deliberate to me.

You may find a personal whitelist more suited to your needs.  Either use
it as a guide to not bother doing RBL checks for a message but still
process other rules or use it as a meta to 0 out any RBL hit you find.

Kevin

Re: White List and Yellow List DNS Servers - Proposal

Posted by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com>.

Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On 6/30/06, Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com> wrote:
>>
>> Yeah - but what I'm thinking of is something that is automatic and
>> reputation based rather that paying someone to certify you. In other
>> words your server get whitelisted because you never send spam.
>
> Paid or otherwise, how do you get on the list in the first place?  You
> obviously used some criteria based on your own server logs to
> determine which IPs "never" send spam -- but "never" is a long time,
> and in some cases "spam" is objective (people report all kinds of
> stuff as spam for all kinds of reasons).

One of the things I'm doing is tracking spam/ham by host IP address. I
count that ham/spam ratio and the IP addresses that get 99%+ ham (many
are 100%) get whitelisted. Those that are 99%+ spam are blacklisted.
Those that send mostly ham but some spam are yellow listed which
prevents them from being blacklisted.

So the idea would be to have some trusted filtering services that are
blessed to be able to report the IP address of spam and ham to a central
DNS list that would keep count. Those hosts with a (near) perfect
reputation are whitelisted. Those with a good reputation are
yellowlisted. And of course we continue with blacklisting as we do now.

Posted by Bart Schaefer <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com>.