Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2014/06/15 15:37:58 UTC

Docs page rearrangement?

I've been reading Anne Gentle's book Conversation and Community -
http://drbacchus.com/books/1937434109 - and I'm thinking about some
things we can do to the httpd docs site to make it less user-hostile.

I've long been frustrated with the docs landing page, regarding the lack
of clear path. Where do I go if I'm getting started? How do I know what
I'm looking for, when docs have names like Handlers and Filters, and I
don't know what those words mean? That kind of thing.

Anne says that it's helpful for docs to be divided into categories:

* Start Here
* Reference Guide
* Tutorials
* Learning/Understanding
* Cookbook/Recipe

We have all that content, but it's arranged somewhat haphazardly, which
hinders both the learner and the potential writer.

I'm thinking of rearranging the docs landing page into these categories,
and in the process trying to make it a little more welcoming. I'm
somewhat hindered by the fact that I'm design-challenged, so if any of
you have input into this process, I'd love to hear from you.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon