Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Arthur Blake <bl...@yahoo.com> on 2007/06/01 22:52:10 UTC

Re: Logging - What good is it ?

JAMon looks like a pretty neat tool.  Almost a full-fledged profiler...
I also noticed it has a lot of cross over with my program log4jdbc (see http://log4jdbc.sourceforge.net)
actually JAmon does a lot more, but it is interesting to see some of your ideas because I have some similar
ideas for log4jdbc (ability to generically time interfaces, etc.)

Speaking of the Wiki... how does one get a program added on there?
I tooled around there for a bit and couldn't find any obvious way to add something to the Wiki...
I would like to get a link to log4jdbc up there...

Arthur Blake

Posted by Steve Souza <ja...@gmail.com>.
I forgot to mention I have updated the log4j wiki with  this information.

http://wiki.apache.org/logging-log4j/Log4jRelatedResources

RE: Logging - What good is it ?

Posted by Scott Deboy <sd...@comotivsystems.com>.
You could have your IT folks rsync the log file regularly to a location that you have access to , and then use whatever tools you want for slicing & dicing the log file (including Chainsaw).

You can also use VFSLogFilePatternReceiver with Chainsaw to access the log file from its original location if you can get to it using one of VFS's supported file systems (sftp, for example, allows you to get to files only available via ssh) - they could restrict access for the user that's configured to read the log file so it has access to nothing else.

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/vfs/filesystems.html

Scott Deboy
COMOTIV SYSTEMS
111 SW Columbia Street Ste. 950