Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Decebal Suiu <de...@asf.ro> on 2012/07/12 13:15:52 UTC

wicket (1.5) push with cometd or atmosphere?

Hi

I want to use a push technology (now I use comet-timer from wicketstuff) for
some notifications in my wicket (1.5) application and I have to chose
between cometd (wicketstuff)  or atmosphere. I like wicket-atmosphere and
wicket-native-socket from wicket-experimental but these require wicket 6.
Finally I want to chose a push technology that not depends on servlet
container.

Any advice, links?

Thanks,
Decebak

Re: wicket (1.5) push with cometd or atmosphere?

Posted by Emond Papegaaij <em...@topicus.nl>.
As the author of wicket-atmosphere, I would recommend wicket-atmosphere :)
Wicket 6.0 is close to a final release and atmosphere does not depend on the
servlet container. It will use native support, if available, but falls back to
other solutions if the container does not support websocket. Naturally, you
cannot do websocket on a servlet container that does not support the protocol.

For Wicket 1.5, I'm not aware of any real push framework. All implementations
I've seen let the client do an AJAX call on a notification, which adds another
round-trip and increases server load. As far as I know, this is the only way
to do push in Wicket 1.5. Both server and client (js) do not support pushing
component updates to the client without initiating an AJAX-call.

Best regards,
Emond Papegaaij