Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Ian Kallen <sp...@salon.com> on 2000/02/19 17:41:51 UTC

signal handler?

Anybody know of any tricks to trigger HUP and USR1 signals in the parent
process via the API?  I was thinking of writing a handler to restart, or
graceful restart, the server (access controlled of course :) but I haven't
seen anything in the API that'll do that.  Thoughts?
-Ian

--
Salon Internet 				http://www.salon.com/
  Manager, Software and Systems "Livin' La Vida Unix!"

Re: signal handler?

Posted by "Eric L. Brine" <EL...@iname.com>.
> > > Anybody know of any tricks to trigger HUP and USR1 signals in the
> > > parent process via the API?
> >
> > I don't believe there is one since kill() does (should do) the job
> > perfectly.
>
> Duh, but not remotely.  I'm trying to avoid snmp or some other evil to
> remotely reconfigure the server.  Having a shell open on every machine
> in a cluster is a drag.

I must have missed the requirement of being able to do it remotely in your
first message. Then again, I believed you asked for an API call, and you
can't do those remotely either!

In that case, you can write a mod_perl script which calls kill()?

--
Eric L. Brine  |  Chicken: The egg's way of making more eggs.
ELB@iname.com  |  Do you always hit the nail on the thumb?

Re: signal handler?

Posted by Ian Kallen <sp...@salon.com>.
Today, Eric L. Brine <EL...@iname.com> frothed and gesticulated about Re:...:

Re: signal handler?

Posted by "Eric L. Brine" <EL...@iname.com>.
> Anybody know of any tricks to trigger HUP and USR1 signals in the parent
> process via the API?

I don't believe there is one since kill() does (should do) the job
perfectly.
ELB