Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by AJ <aj...@dude.podzone.net> on 2011/06/27 23:06:34 UTC

Sharing Cassandra with Solandra

Hi everyone,

Would anyone care to talk about their experiences with using Solandra
along side another application that uses Cassandra (also on the same
node)?  I'm curious about any resource contention issues or
compatibility between C* versions and Sol.  Also, I read the developer
somewhere say that you have to run Solandra on every C* node in the
ring.  I'm not sure if I interpreted that correctly.  Also, what's the
index size to data size ratio to expect (ballpark)?  How does it
perform?  Any caveats?

Thanks!
aj

Re: Sharing Cassandra with Solandra

Posted by AJ <aj...@dude.podzone.net>.
On 6/27/2011 3:39 PM, David Strauss wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-06-27 at 15:06 -0600, AJ wrote:
>> Would anyone care to talk about their experiences with using Solandra
>> along side another application that uses Cassandra (also on the same
>> node)?  I'm curious about any resource contention issues or
>> compatibility between C* versions and Sol.  Also, I read the developer
>> somewhere say that you have to run Solandra on every C* node in the
>> ring.  I'm not sure if I interpreted that correctly.  Also, what's the
>> index size to data size ratio to expect (ballpark)?  How does it
>> perform?  Any caveats?
> We're currently keeping the clusters separate at Pantheon Systems
> because our core API (which runs on standard Cassandra) is often ready
> for the next Cassandra version at a different time than Solandra.
> Solandra recently gained dual 0.7/0.8 support, but we're still opting to
> use the version on Cassandra that Solandra is primarily being built and
> tested on (which is currently 0.8).

Thanks.  But, I'm finally cluing in that Solandra is also developed by
DataStax, so I feel safer about future compatibility.

Re: Sharing Cassandra with Solandra

Posted by David Strauss <da...@davidstrauss.net>.