Posted to user@manifoldcf.apache.org by Liam O'Boyle <li...@intelligencebank.com> on 2011/04/13 02:26:26 UTC

Solr ACLs

Hi,

I'm looking into ways to restrict the results retrieved in Solr
searches based on the permissions of the user doing the search.
Currently this is achieved by the simple approach of creating a filter
query that restricts the results to all possible matches, but I'm
running into the boolean search term limits in Solr and so I am
looking for a better approach.

It seems like the functionality of ManifoldCF may be what I need [1],
[2], but I'd just like to confirm that I'm not going to run into the
same problem anyway (limits on the maximum number of boolean terms in
a Solr query, set by the maxBooleanClauses option).  Is the ManifoldCF
LCF plugin creating a filter query behind the scenes, or is it using
an approach which avoids this problem?

Thanks,
Liam

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/connectors/concepts.html#ManifoldCF+security+model
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-1895

Re: Solr ACLs

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.
It sounds to me like you would probably be developing your own
repository connector and authority connector.  There is very basic
documentation available online for how to go about doing that here:

http://incubator.apache.org/connectors/developer-resources.html#howtowriteconnectors

... or you might be interested in the book ManifoldCF in Action, which
is available via the Manning Early Access Program, at
http://www.manning.com/wright.  It's been released so far up through
chapter 4, but it's chapters 5,6,7, and 8 you will most need, which
with luck will appear within the next 2 months or so.

Of course, you can always rely on help from this forum as well.
Karl

Re: Solr ACLs

Posted by Liam O'Boyle <li...@intelligencebank.com>.
Hi Karl,