Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Jesse Wilson <je...@swank.ca> on 2004/11/25 23:22:06 UTC

An alternative to long skinny tables: "Newspaper Table"

I've created a custom component that is very similar
to the dataTable component.

Suppose you have a dataTable of states and their 2-letter abbreviations:
AL ALABAMA
AK ALASKA
AZ ARIZONA
AR ARKANSAS
CA CALIFORNIA
CO COLORADO
CT CONNECTICUT

This will quickly consume several screens of data and the
user ends up scrolling like crazy. With my new component
NewspaperTable, you specify a number of newspaper columns
and the  table is "wrapped" so that each column is repeated
multiple times on each row. The name newspaper comes
from the idea of 'balanced columns' like you would find in
a newspaper:

AL ALABAMA                 DE DELAWARE              IA IOWA
AK ALASKA                    FL FLORIDA                    KS KANSAS
AZ ARIZONA                  GA GEORGIA                  KY KENTUCKY
AR ARKANSAS             HI HAWAII                        LA LOUISIANA
CA CALIFORNIA           ID IDAHO                         ME MAINE
CO COLORADO            IL ILLINOIS                      MD MARYLAND
CT CONNECTICUT      IN INDIANA                      MA MASSACHUSETTS

The end result works very well in my application. I have used
all sorts of components in this table and they all work perfectly.

I would like to share this component with the MyFaces project.
Can somebody please tell me where I can contribute this code?
It seems like everything is a little crazy due to the migration to
Apache Incubator!

Cheers,
Jesse

Re: CVS access

Posted by Manfred Geiler <ma...@apache.org>.
Info about CVS access is on old wiki homepage at http://www.myfaces.org
Manfred

Re: CVS access

Posted by Heath Borders <he...@gmail.com>.

Re: CVS access

Posted by Heath Borders <he...@gmail.com>.

Re: CVS access

Posted by Mads Peter Henderson <ma...@tietoenator.com>.
Hi,

CVS access

Posted by Francesco Consumi <co...@istitutodeglinnocenti.it>.

Re: Italian translation of messages.properties

Posted by Mads Peter Henderson <ma...@tietoenator.com>.
Hi,

--
Venlig hilsen
Mads Peter Henderson

TietoEnator Financial Solutions A/S
Ved Lunden 12
DK-8230 Åbyhøj
Denmark

Phone:        +45 7027 6400
Direct:       +45 8746 6439
Fax:          +45 7027 6440
Email:        mads.henderson@tietoenator.com
Internet:     www.tietoenator.com

Re: CVS

Posted by Francesco Consumi <co...@istitutodeglinnocenti.it>.
Scrive No Galz <an...@yahoo.com>:

> Hii,
>
> I had the same problem accessing the CVS at apache,
> with no repository found message. If u access root
> repository path /home/cvspublic, it should work. Then
> check out only myfaces-incubator.

in this way, it worked. thanks. :-)

Re: Italian translation of messages.properties

Posted by No Galz <an...@yahoo.com>.
Hii,

I had the same problem accessing the CVS at apache,
with no repository found message. If u access root
repository path /home/cvspublic, it should work. Then
check out only myfaces-incubator.

HTH
fargo

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Italian translation of messages.properties

Posted by Manfred Geiler <ma...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

Re: An alternative to long skinny tables: "Newspaper Table"

Posted by Manfred Geiler <ma...@apache.org>.
Jesse,
Thanks for your offer.
The best way to contribute to MyFaces:
- Start with the latest CVS on your disk
- Make modifications and/or implement new classes, components, tags, etc.
- Create a patch file
- Submit a new "improvement" issue at
http://nagoya.apache.org/jira/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?id=10600
- Apply the patch to this issue as attachement

Thanks very much,
Manfred

BTW: This procedure is common and simliar in all Apache projects.