Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com> on 2020/10/15 17:52:00 UTC

Releasing VSCode Extension on Apache and Microsoft Marketplace

Hi.
The VSCode extension source is in and ready for testing and bugreports.
Instructions to build your own version are here:

https://github.com/apache/netbeans/blob/master/java/java.lsp.server/vscode/README.md

Sváťa, Dušan, Martin, and others are now ready to bugfix a bit to stabilize
the behavior. Of course, thanks everyone helping us with reviews and
bugfixes, as the fixes may be spread around almost all NetBeans codebase.

Assuming everything gets sufficiently bugfixed in the next few weeks and a
good enough version of VSCode extension is released by Laszlo in the source
form, it is then reasonable to ask: What's going to happen next?

There has already been a VSCode extension release as Jan wrote:
> FWIW, Apache NetBeans has already released the VS Code extension in the
past:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/netbeans-dev/202004.mbox/%3CCALd%3D3dHVyENu%2Bj5o9stvP9_o%2B6FquTdzG7Wx-s-G5-_RdVeaDw%40mail.gmail.com%3E

https://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/netbeans/netbeans-vscode-ext/0.0.1/apache-netbeans-java-0.0.1.vsix

Let's repeat it. Let's release a convenience binary with the extension
again. I guess one of us, mentioned above, is going to take over the build
and vote process. Is that OK?

Then, the next step is to upload the extension to [Microsoft Marketplace](
https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/vscode), so it is available to users
worldwide and other extensions can depend on it. How do we handle this kind
of upload?

I am not aware of any Apache project uploading something to the
Marketplace. I am not sure if Apache has credentials to do it. If so,
great, let's use them.

If not, let me suggest (a heretic) approach. My organization has an
account. We have already uploaded some extensions in there (like
https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=oracle-labs-graalvm.graalvm).
Just the uploader would be "oracle-labs" not "jlahoda" (current name in the
extension). This touches Apache copyright, so I am not sure if that is OK,
but from my perspective it would be just a redistribution of the same
source (we can probably modify our scripts to take the name from a property
- e.g. `-Dauthor=oracle-labs` would build the extension ready for upload
from the released sources).

Last, but not least. What shall be the name of the extension? I've heard
following suggestion:

> *After a while I incline towards*
*:*
*> - NetBeans Java Language Server*
*> - NetBeans Language Server*
*> 2nd is more language neutral for the future extensions of this server.*

Clearly, even if the extension gets uploaded by a non-Apache party, I'd
like to keep the NetBeans trademark in there. Good promotion of the work
Apache community provides! I hope we find a way to do so. Assuming there is
a way, what name the Apache community wants to give to this `.vsix`
convenience binary?

Thank you for your support and opinions.
-jt

Re: Releasing VSCode Extension on Apache and Microsoft Marketplace

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.
čt 15. 10. 2020 v 20:21 odesílatel Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>
napsal:

> If it’s released by Apache, so why not Apache NetBeans Language Server.

True. Let's use this name consistently:
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/2480/commits/bb591a879ad742cc8d0cedcf977eda9a89746279

Thank you, Geertjan.
-jt

On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 at 19:52, Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>

Re: Snap package by Apache NetBeans✓ (Verified account)

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Well,

Yes, that verified publisher is a really valuable asset. I might open a
new distribution or join to some. So do not worry.

Posted by John Neffenger <jo...@status6.com>.

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
On 10/21/20 9:10 PM, Jaroslav Tulach wrote:
> Dne středa 21. října 2020 20:37:16 CEST, Laszlo Kishalmi napsal(a):
>> That would be fine, I just have one concern: Apache Licensing Policy.
> David Nalley has joined the discussion and indicated Apache maintains accounts
> for iOS and Android publishing, btw.
>
>> And that could be a hard one to crack. So if we ever decide to ship
>> something non Apache Compliant stuff, like nb-javac or something else
>> with the VSCode Extension, it won't be really possible under the Apache
>> umbrella.
> Right, it is clear that Apache isn't going to distribute nb-javac. Let me
> describe the solution from a technical perspective. The PR
>
> https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/2447
>
> introduces concept of extensibility: "the launcher ... scans all activated
> extensions and collects clusters from (their) `nbcode` subdirectory. As such
> it is possible for various VSCode extensions to contribute modules into the
> same backend and enhance its functionality."
>
> Thus the solution to nb-javac problem is: An independent entity shall release
> and upload to the Marketplace an extension with `nbcode` subdirectory
> providing the nb-javac modules. When users install "Apache NetBeans Language
> Server" extension as well as the extension providing nb-javac, the extensions
> find each other and start to co-operate.
>
>> So I'd propose not to tie the Publisher with Apache. It could
>> be an independent publisher group who can be eventually be member of the
>> Apache NetBeans community and also use the "built on Apache NetBeans"
>> rather than "built by Apache NetBeans". Though the later one sounds
>> better, but has many restrictions.
> This is also perfectly valid option, although I slightly prefer release of the
> "Apache NetBeans Language Server" extension by ASF, if we can make it in time
> (see David Nalley email).
>
> Best regards.
> -jt

Well, if you can it pull off  with the extension dependency, then
definitely, "Apache NetBeans Language Server" extension by ASF, would
sound the best. I just came up with the warning as I'm seriously
thinking about somehow moving the Snap out of Apache distribution as
there is no legal way to me to package everything into one working out
of the box package.

BTW, do we have time constraints releasing this one? If everything goes
smooth we will have a voted source code release on 15th of Nov. The
binary installers+maven usually takes one more week. I would not
necessarily bind the VSCode release with the binaries and announcements.
It just depends on weather we would like to have one big bang or two
blasts in about 1-3 weeks apart.

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
That would be fine, I just have one concern: Apache Licensing Policy.

And that could be a hard one to crack. So if we ever decide to ship
something non Apache Compliant stuff, like nb-javac or something else
with the VSCode Extension, it won't be really possible under the Apache
umbrella. So I'd propose not to tie the Publisher with Apache. It could

Posted by Martin Balin <ma...@oracle.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Martin Balin <ma...@oracle.com>.
Hi,
As suggested, I've created INFRA issue for ASF Publisher on VSCode
marketplace

thank you,
Martin

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.