Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Mark Clarke <Ma...@ClarkeConsulting.co.za> on 2003/10/19 10:41:28 UTC

Error after 0.31 upgrade

Hi people,

I get the following error when I try to access the repository via web
dav after upgrading to 0.31.

<m:human-readable errcode="160029">

Berkeley DB error while opening environment for filesystem
/home/svn/repos/db:
Resource temporarily unavailable
</m:human-readable>

I have no idea what to do to fix this problem. From the message it has
something to do with the database but how do I fix it?

Thanks
Mark

Re: Error after 0.31 upgrade

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
> > How do I get a dumpfile from the db and then re-import it.
> >
> > I must admit I think I am never going to upgrade subversion again or go
> > back to cvs. This kind of stuff takes way to much of my time.

You're using Alpha software... and Alpha software which uses a real
database.  That means, believe it or not, you're going to have to do
some very simple database administration every once in a great while.

When the db-schema changes (about once per year), we give users weeks
of warning.  We scream about it in the CHANGES file, we scream about
it on all the mailing lists, and we write whole svnadmin commands that
do most of the upgrade work.  We document the process in the book,
even write up a FAQ with complete detailed instructions, put it into
the source tree, and publicize it as much as possible:

  http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/notes/repos_upgrade_HOWTO

Sorry if I sound grumpy... but I don't possibly see how this project
could *possibly* bend over backwards any more to make this easy for
you.  When I see complaint like the one above, I want to shake the
person and scream, "pay *attention*, man!"

Oy.  Maybe my blood sugar is too low.  Off to fix that now.

Re: Error after 0.31 upgrade

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <e....@gmx.net>.
Then don't use not-beta-software. or keep the book at hand.

the way to do it is:
  $ svnadmin dump /path/to/repos >my-dump-file

re-importing:
  $ svnadmin load /path/to/new/repos <my-dump-file

hope that helps,

bye,

Erik.

Re: Error after 0.31 upgrade