Posted to user@phoenix.apache.org by Simon Mottram <Si...@cucumber.co.nz> on 2019/11/17 21:03:48 UTC

Issue using ANY ARRAY feature

Phoenix Version: 4.14.2-HBase-1.4
HBase Version: AWS EMR
Release
label:emr-5.24.1
Hadoop distribution:Amazon
Applications:Phoenix 4.14.1,
Hue 4.4.0, HBase 1.4.9

Having an issue where ANY(ARRAY[]) stops the query returning any
results when used in a 'AND' conjunction

e.g (fielda = 'a') AND (fieldb = any(array['a','b','c]))

Always returns zero results, if i change to disjunction (OR) it works
fine but obviously isn't what's wanted here.  Excuse the long post but
I wanted to be as clear as possible.

It's quite possible I have misunderstood the way ANY() works but...

Here's a simple query that returns a correct number of results:

SELECT BIOMATERIALNAME, OBSERVATIONDATE, TRIALNAME
 FROM DEV_OAPI.OBSERVATION
WHERE (BIOMATERIALNAME = 'ROOT00386') AND (TRIALNAME = 'TRIAL00015')
 ORDER BY OBSERVATIONDATE DESC
 LIMIT 10
 OFFSET 0

So there's definitely records where biomaterial name and trialname have
these values

If I change it to

SELECT BIOMATERIALNAME, OBSERVATIONDATE, TRIALNAME
 FROM DEV_OAPI.OBSERVATION
WHERE (TRIALNAME = ANY(ARRAY['TRIAL00015', 'SOMETHING ELSE']))
 ORDER BY OBSERVATIONDATE DESC
 LIMIT 10
 OFFSET 0

I get valid results

So the ANY(ARRAY[]) function works

Here's the explain which looks very odd to more, but it works

PLAN

CLIENT 1-CHUNK 50574 ROWS 314572800 BYTES PARALLEL 1-WAY FULL SCAN OVER
DEV_OAPI.OBSERVATION

SERVER FILTER BY
org.apache.phoenix.expression.function.ArrayAnyComparisonExpression
[children=[ARRAY['TRIAL00015'], TRIALNAME =
org.apache.phoenix.expression.function.ArrayElemRefExpression
[children=[ARRAY['TRIAL00015'], 1]]]]
    SERVER TOP 10 ROWS SORTED BY [OBSERVATIONDATE
DESC]                                                                 C
CLIENT MERGE
SORT
CLIENT LIMIT 10

So far so good, BUT.

However if I combine the ARRAY expression with any expression using AND
I get zero results, even tho as above both sides of the conjunction
return true.

e.g.

SELECT BIOMATERIALNAME, OBSERVATIONDATE, TRIALNAME
 FROM DEV_OAPI.OBSERVATION
WHERE (BIOMATERIALNAME = 'ROOT00386') AND (TRIALNAME =
ANY(ARRAY['TRIAL00015', 'SOMETHING ELSE']))
 ORDER BY OBSERVATIONDATE DESC
 LIMIT 10
 OFFSET 0

Explain (newlines added):
 SERVER FILTER BY
 (BIOMATERIALNAME = 'SCION00424'
 AND
 org.apache.phoenix.expression.function.ArrayAnyComparisonExpression
[children=[ARRAY['TRIAL00015','SOMETHING ELSE'],
 TRIALNAME =
org.apache.phoenix.expression.function.ArrayElemRefExpression
[children=[ARRAY['TRIAL00015','SOMETHING ELSE'], 1]]]])

Just out of interest I tried with strings only in the array check

SELECT BIOMATERIALNAME, OBSERVATIONDATE, TRIALNAME
 FROM DEV_OAPI.OBSERVATION
WHERE (BIOMATERIALNAME = 'ROOT00386') AND ('TRIAL00015' =
ANY(ARRAY['TRIAL00015']))
 ORDER BY OBSERVATIONDATE DESC
 LIMIT 10
 OFFSET 0

This works fine (in a kind of unhelpful way)

I have tested using the thick client:
        <!-- HBASE THICK CLIENT DEPS -->
        <dependency>
            <groupId>org.apache.phoenix</groupId>
            <artifactId>phoenix-core</artifactId>
            <version>4.14.2-HBase-1.4</version>
        </dependency>

and the thin client

         <dependency>
            <groupId>org.apache.phoenix</groupId>
            <artifactId>phoenix-queryserver-client</artifactId>
            <version>4.14.2-HBase-1.4</version>
        </dependency>

I've tried using braces and re-ordering but any query of the form:
<anyclause> AND field = ANY(ARRAY['value1'...])
Returns zero results regardless of values

We can't change version as we are using the Amazon AWS EMR managed
stack and no other phoenix libraries work.

Thanks for taking the time to read this far!

Cheers

Simon

Re: Issue using ANY ARRAY feature

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
Hi Simon,

Thanks for replying back with your fix. We appreciate when folks do this
so that others can also see the solution.

http://phoenix.apache.org/download.html only publishes the "latest"
release for a line that we're maintaining. That's why you'll see 4.14.3
listed on the website, not 4.14.0/1/2.

If you see a release x.y.z, you can reasonably assume[1] that you'll
also find release x.y.z' where z'=[0,z). We expect that compatibility is
maintained in the bugfix releases to some line, so there is no reason to
not update to the latest version.

- Josh

[1] The one caveat here is that if there is a security-issues, we may
explicitly pull a release from being downloaded.

Posted by Simon Mottram <Si...@cucumber.co.nz>.
Update: