Posted to user@bloodhound.apache.org by Bobby Ninan <bm...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/12 18:58:15 UTC

Re: Turning on source code browser

Hi,
I have been trying unsuccessfully so far to view my Git repository in
Apache Bloodhound's source browser. I am using Bloodhound
0.8.0dev-r1534486. Under the Administration (Global Settings) >
Repositories, I have added a Git repository "foo" in the directory
"/opt/git".

When I login as admin, I do see the Source link. However clicking on it
takes me to the RepositoryAdmin wiki page. When I login as a non-admin
user, I do not even see the Source link. Can you please tell me what I may
be missing here?

Thanks for your time,
Bobby...

Re: Turning on source code browser

Posted by Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com>.
On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 9:57 AM, Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 12:00 AM, Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com>wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 12:20 PM, Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> [...]
>>>

>>> Maybe we are lacking on offering a link for users to go straight to
>>> repository browser from corresponding admin pages . If you feel this is the
>>> case please create a new ticket .
>>>

>> I think that adding a link to the repository in the browser is a
>> reasonable idea, I'm just not sure where we could place the link.
>>

> An iconic link close to repository name [1]_ ? The arrow may be replaced
> with something more obvious , or apply inverse logic to make text link
> point to the browser and use icon-cog to navigate to repos admin panel .
>
> .. [1] https://redpen.io/vs3krq

Either sounds good to me,

 1. The iconic link would be okay, if, as mentioned, we can determine an
intuitive icon.
 2. Make the name link point to the browser and use an icon-cog to navigate
to the edit page. If we make that change, we should probably make similar
changes for other Admin pages such as Ticket Components, Ticket Milestones,
etc .. It would be strange to go to the Repository Admin page and click on
the name of a repository to have it link to the repository, but on the
Ticket Components page have the name link to the edit page.

If we go with the icon-cog mentioned in (2), another feature to consider
would be having icon-cog links from the Repository Browser index page
directly to the Admin repository edit pages when the user has the
appropriate permissions.

Re: Turning on source code browser

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 1:38 PM, Joachim Dreimann <
joachim.dreimann@wandisco.com> wrote:

> Nowhere else in the UI do we use arrows as links I think.

Arrow link is not accurate , something better has to be chosen , of course
. I was trying to suggest something similar to the iconic download icon
next to attachment links

> What does the Name link currently go to?

To the admin panel to configure repository attributes

> I prefer either the name or something similar to link to it, or show a
> normal link: "View source".

I thought of an icon to save some space ... but anyway ... it's just a
quick suggestion .

Olemis - @olemislc

Re: Turning on source code browser

Posted by Joachim Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com>.

--
Joachim Dreimann | *User Experience Manager*

WANdisco // *Non-Stop Data*

e. joachim.dreimann@wandisco.com
twitter @jdreimann <https://twitter.com/jdreimann>

Re: Turning on source code browser

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com>.
On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 12:36 PM, Bobby Ninan <bm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Your suggestion on navigating to /browser/<reponame> was very helpful. I
> found that the problem was due to my incorrectly specifying the repository
> directory. When I specified the directory as "/opt/git/foo.git", I was able
> to navigate the source browser successfully.
>
> Thanks,
> Bobby...

Thank you for your feedback. The implementation of trac:#11351 will
probably provide a better indicator in the case that an invalid repository
directory is specified. I hope to implement that at least by Trac 1.0.3,
but possibly it will make it into Trac 1.0.2, and should be integrated into
Bloodhound shortly after.

http://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/11351

Re: Turning on source code browser

Posted by Bobby Ninan <bm...@gmail.com>.