Posted to dev@vcl.apache.org by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> on 2009/01/06 21:59:12 UTC

Happy New Year -- and what resolutions / plans do we have?

I wanted to kick start a conversation about some plans for this year
to get people's blood flowing and brains coming out of the Christmas
holiday time.

I'm curious to get a levelset on the code status, 2.1 plans, Wiki
ideas etc.

I'm going to be updating the Incubator web sites this week and
starting to figure out my plans for time investment so I'd like to
hear what others are thinking.

Re: two small suggestions: change the name of the config file into default config files.

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

two small suggestions: change the name of the config file into default config files.

Posted by Frank Schwichtenberg <sc...@us.ibm.com>.
just a short suggestion

I would find it beneficial if the two configuration files in the web
interface

$DOCUMENT_ROOT/.ht-inc/conf.php
$DOCUMENT_ROOT/.ht-inc/secrets.php

would be renamed to

$DOCUMENT_ROOT/.ht-inc/conf-default.php
$DOCUMENT_ROOT/.ht-inc/secrets-default.php

That way we can check out the code in our sandbox without accidentally
loosing the configuration.

Typically I would supply a patch for this, but I guess that does not make
sense here ...
-Frank

Re: Happy New Year -- and what resolutions / plans do we have?

Posted by Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu>.
The current code set in trunk is what is running at the NCSU production
system and is mostly ready for public use - minus detailed documentation...
a task for the wiki.

This code set is modularized so folks can contribute additional
provisioning modules, the long-term idea is a person would not need to
modify the core, but simply use a module template to develop a provisioning
module that would support a particular provisioning engine or interact with
different hypervisors, like TPM, cobbler, xCAT2.0, vmware toolkit, xen,
some other cloud...etc.

A summary of the 2.1 plans that we would like to see happen and need to be
vetted are located here and in jira under 2.1 versions
<http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/VCL/VCL+2.1+goals>

Some are of the 2.1 tasks are code and database cleaning others are
bringing some of the other code functions up 2 date with the.

We've started also a couple of feature items for 2.2, neither of the
versions have a timeline.

As far as the wiki - I'm open to layout ideas. But we need to write quite a
bit of documentation surrounding installation, setup, development
contributions and processes that adhere to ASF and our sanity :).

Aaron

--On January 6, 2009 3:59:12 PM -0500 Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>
wrote:

> I wanted to kick start a conversation about some plans for this year to
> get people's blood flowing and brains coming out of the Christmas holiday
> time.
>
> I'm curious to get a levelset on the code status, 2.1 plans, Wiki ideas
> etc.
>
> I'm going to be updating the Incubator web sites this week and starting
> to figure out my plans for time investment so I'd like to hear what
> others are thinking.

Aaron Peeler
OIT Advanced Computing
College of Engineering-NCSU