Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Anuradha Sundararajan <sa...@yahoo.com> on 2003/10/31 10:51:19 UTC

Fonts embedded in PDF

Hello All,

       I have converted as XML-FO with SVG as foreign
object to pdf using FOP. I have certain fonts in SVG
which needs to be written and not drawn. To enable
this, i have included a configuration file with the
font metrics of the fonts included. The pdf that i
have generated using the tool is well read by Acrobat
Reader but the GSView is unable to read the fonts.

      Can I get some help regarding why the embedded
fonts on pdf generated by FOP is not recognized by
GSView ? There is one observation that GSView
understands "embedded subset". Is it possible to
subset the embedded fonts on pdf using FOP.

      I would be very grateful if i can get a response
for my query at the earliest.

Thanking you.

Regards,
Anuradha

Re: Fonts embedded in PDF

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Anuradha Sundararajan wrote:
>        I have converted as XML-FO with SVG as foreign
> object to pdf using FOP. I have certain fonts in SVG
> which needs to be written and not drawn. To enable
> this, i have included a configuration file with the
> font metrics of the fonts included. The pdf that i
> have generated using the tool is well read by Acrobat
> Reader but the GSView is unable to read the fonts.

I don't think SVG text rendered as text uses embedded fonts,
I believe it relies on the fonts being installed on the machine.
This would explain why it works in Acrobat, GSView doesn't use
Windows fonts, it uses only it's own.

Your options:
- Render the text as graphic (set strokeSVGText to true).
- tell GSView about the font you use.

J.Pietschmann