Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com> on 2001/02/09 01:51:21 UTC

Re: Difference between Apache's Cocoon and Oracle's XSQL/ XSU technol ogies

On Thu, 8 Feb 2001 AKhan@burntsand.com wrote:

> I apologise if this might sound a bit daft - but could anyone
> explain what the key differences between Cocoon and Oracle's
> XSQL technolgyare  - they seem to be doing  pretty much the
> same kind of thing.

they do do similar things. one difference is that cocoon's got a little
thing we call XSP which lets you dynamically create XML from arbitrary
data sources, not just SQL databases. i also happen to think that my esql
language knocks the socks off of oracle's xsql language, but that's just a
personal opinion.

(personally, i'm still a little sore at oracle because they rebuffed my
early attempts to collaboratively develop a standard xml language for
doing sql queries and rendering their results. we had a window of
opportunity to develop such a thing and failed. but i digress.)

c2 lets you do powerful things in terms of mapping urlspace to filespace
(or, rather, pipeline-space); i'm not aware that xsql does anything in
that regard. furthermore, cocoon is community developed open source, while
oracle's stuff isn't.

- donald

Re: Difference between Apache's Cocoon and Oracle's XSQL/ XSU technol ogies

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.
Donald Ball wrote:

> i also happen to think that my esql
> language knocks the socks off of oracle's xsql language, but that's just a
> personal opinion.

But not a singular one :)

> (personally, i'm still a little sore at oracle because they rebuffed my
> early attempts to collaboratively develop a standard xml language for
> doing sql queries and rendering their results. we had a window of
> opportunity to develop such a thing and failed. but i digress.)

It's Oracle's loss, not ours :)

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring