Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Rick McGuire <ri...@gmail.com> on 2010/04/12 19:30:17 UTC

Are the specs ready to go up for a release vote?

If we wish to release a milestone soon, we need to start getting the
different subcomponents released fairly quickly.  Here are the things I
believe we need to have release votes on:

1)  New spec components.  These need to be done first, and should
probably done as a single vote rather than trying to schedule a vote for
each of the jars.
2)  New javamail jar (should probably done concurrently with the
javamail spec).
3)  New xmlbeans schema jar releases (java ee 1.4, java ee 5, and java
ee 6 versions)
4)  New components jars
5)  New yoko jars
6)  New tomcat ext jars

For 1), I think these are ready to go.  I believe the issue of the
package exports has been resolved as far as it can be for the 3.1 M1
release.  The jpa and servlet specs will be exporting dual version
levels because the need to line up with different implementations that
are not conforming to the OSGi specs yet.  This seems like a workable
solution, at least for the short term.  I believe all of our specs are
currently passing the signature tests, so they look clean there.  If I
don't hear any objections, I'll start staging these for release tomorrow
morning.

The one spec there might be a concern about is the ccpp spec jar.  This
is used in the pluto support currently, but we don't currently have a
TCK to validate this one.  I need some opinions on how to proceed with
that jar.  For now, I'll not be submitting this one for a vote with the
rest of the specs.

What state are the rest of these in?  I suspect yoko is not stable
enough currently since David Jencks is currently working on getting the
Corba support working.  We might want to delay the tomcat external
release as long as we can in case we require some patches.  "As long as
we can" is probably not more than a week.  The xmlbeans schema jars are
probably pretty stable and capable of being released now.

Are the components in any shape that release votes can be started?  Here
are the components we need to release:

- geronimo-connector
- geronmo-transaction
- geronimo-jaspi

This will need to be handled fairly soon too.

Rick

Re: Are the specs ready to go up for a release vote?

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
I'll update the specs wrt imported packages and version policy.  Do you have
a list of the specs that you intend to release ?

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.