Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by Naveen <na...@gmail.com> on 2018/01/03 07:39:54 UTC

Best practice while creating tables - specifying the length of the data type

Hi

I am using 2.3

Looks like ignite does not support CLOB, can I use varchar instead of CLOB
if my requirement is to store 100000 characters

	CREATE TABLE MAP_CUST
	(
		PARTY_ID CLOB,
		MAPPING_ID VARCHAR(1000) NULL,
		UPDATEDBY VARCHAR(4000 CHAR) NULL,
		SYNCREQUIRED VARCHAR(100) NULL,
		ADB_SOURCE CHAR(1) NULL,
		SYNCTO VARCHAR(10) NULL,
		PRIMARY KEY (MAPPING_ID)
	)WITH "template=partitioned,backups=1,cache_name=MAP_CUST";

And, what is the best practice, do we need to specify the exact size or
omitting the size completely, which  one is efficient.

Thanks
Naveen

Re: Best practice while creating tables - specifying the length of the data type

Posted by Denis Mekhanikov <dm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Naveen!

CLOB is not supported in Ignite as an SQL-specific type. You can use
VARCHAR for character data or BINARY for binary data. VARCHAR corresponds
to java.lang.String type, and BINARY - to byte[].
There is no need to specify length for VARCHARs, it has no effect. VARCHARs
always can have unlimited lengths.

Denis