Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Shilpa Dalmia <Sh...@PostX.com> on 2002/05/01 01:09:16 UTC

All incoming mails written to temp file before spooling

Does anyone know why all incoming mails in James are first written to a temp
file before writing to the spool? Why not instead just keep it in memory?
Its a performance bottleneck. Check the constructor for
MimeMessageInputStreamSource.

Shilpa Dalmia

Re: All incoming mails written to temp file before spooling

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
We might want to make this a conf setting I suppose... the idea though
is that it's relatively cheap to stream the message to the file system,
while an errant sender could dump megs and megs in a bogus message that
would consume all your memory rather easily.  Maybe something that will
keep the first X KB in memory, and then start streaming, but this just
gets pretty complicated quickly and I don't know how much performance
drain this really is.
--
Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com/