Posted to dev@devicemap.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2014/09/29 12:14:32 UTC

[graduation] who's staying on the DeviceMap PMC?

Hi,

As discussed recently it's time to consider graduating DeviceMap:
several releases have been done, the community is reasonably managing
itself, and generally I don't see any benefit in staying in the
incubator.

The community will probably remain small, which could be risky if
there are less than 3 active PMC members at some point, but I think we
can graduate with at least 5 PMC members so that's feasible.

Could people confirm that they want to be on the graduated DeviceMap
PMC? Given recent involvement I suggest the following list of PMC
members, in alphabetical order of last names:

Radu Cotescu (radu)
Bertrand Delacretaz (bdelacretaz)
Werner Keil (wkeil)
Reza Naghibi (rezan)
Eberhard Speer Jr.(esjr)

IIRC Kevan and Andrew, mentors, indicated that they are not staying,
but feel free to re-add your name to this list if I'm wrong.

I'm willing to stay on the new PMC for oversight, as discussed before,
but I'm not planning to take an active role in the project besides
that.

I don't think we have any other active committers, none of the other
people listed at http://incubator.apache.org/devicemap/team.html have
been active lately. If people feel otherwise please say so.

http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html describes what it means to be on the PMC.

As described there, we'll also need to select a chair for the new PMC,
I'm in favor of Reza as the initial PMC chair as he seems to have a
good grasp on the ASF stuff, having done the most releases so far. But
opinions are welcome, and it's good IMO to rotate the chair at regular
intervals anyway, so we only need to decide on who's first.

I have updated http://incubator.apache.org/projects/devicemap.html to
reflect the current status, so once we agree on this list of PMC
members I think we are ready to prepare the graduation resolution and
vote on it.

-Bertrand

Re: [graduation] who's staying on the DeviceMap PMC?

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Radu Cotescu <ra...@cotescu.com>.
+1

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 3:14 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org

> As discussed recently it's time to consider graduating DeviceMap:
> several releases have been done, the community is reasonably managing
> itself, and generally I don't see any benefit in staying in the
> incubator.

Agreed.

> The community will probably remain small, which could be risky if
> there are less than 3 active PMC members at some point, but I think we
> can graduate with at least 5 PMC members so that's feasible.
>
> Could people confirm that they want to be on the graduated DeviceMap
> PMC? Given recent involvement I suggest the following list of PMC
> members, in alphabetical order of last names:
>
> Radu Cotescu (radu)
> Bertrand Delacretaz (bdelacretaz)
> Werner Keil (wkeil)
> Reza Naghibi (rezan)
> Eberhard Speer Jr.(esjr)
>
> IIRC Kevan and Andrew, mentors, indicated that they are not staying,
> but feel free to re-add your name to this list if I'm wrong.

Thanks. You are correct. I won't be staying with the project.

--kevan

Re: [graduation] who's staying on the DeviceMap PMC?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 6:08 PM, Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...Any volunteers for preparing the graduation resolution?
> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#process ...

Reza, if you can find time that would be a nice intro to your PMC chair role?

I'm happy to help - you can see examples at
http://www.apache.org/foundation/board/calendar.html when there's an
"establish FOO" item.

We can then discuss a draft resolution here, and once we're happy with
it submit it to the Incubator PMC for voting.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 12:07 PM, Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io> wrote:
> ...wish I could carve the time but alas..

ok, thanks for clarifying! I know what you mean about that time thing ;-)

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.
the former (wish I could carve the time but alas)

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 2:00 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.
+1!