Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> on 2008/04/01 00:24:46 UTC

Re: 2.1 build

And, if we're ready to roll a Struts after that, I'd be happy to step
through the process Wednesday night.

-Ted.

HTH, Ted
http://husted.com/ted/blog/

Re: 2.1 build

Posted by Piero Sartini <li...@pierosartini.de>.
Am Donnerstag, 3. April 2008 17:58:41 schrieb Brian Pontarelli:
> Yeah, I was hoping to have time to get the convention plugin into the
> main repository, but I just haven't had anytime at all. It will have to
> wait until 2.2 unless someone else wants to move it over. At this point
> I can't even recall the outstanding issues and design changes that were
> being discussed before. Anyone else remember those?

I told you about a minor issue some time ago. Just created WW-2576 :)

	Piero

Re: 2.1 build

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.
If it isn't ready I don't think we should wait for it at this point. A
2.1 release is long "overdue" IMO.

regards
musachy

Re: 2.1 build

Posted by Bob Tiernay <bt...@hotmail.com>.
I have been waiting and waiting for the convention plugin :(  That's really
the only reason I've been anticipating the 2.1 release. What's involved in
"moving it over"?

Re: 2.1 build

Posted by Brian Pontarelli <br...@pontarelli.com>.

Re: 2.1 build

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.

Re: 2.1 build - Possible problem

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2008/4/10, Jeromy Evans <je...@blueskyminds.com.au>:
>  S2.1.1 isn't without bugs.  I want it tagged and released (non GA) so more people can try it and so we can get some momentum again.

In fact I think that the "bug" is on the S1 side, I found the related issue:
https://issues.apache.org/struts/browse/STR-2864
The change introduces incompatibility between 1.3.5 and 1.3.6

Antonio

Re: 2.1 build - Possible problem

Posted by Jeromy Evans <je...@blueskyminds.com.au>.

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Al Sutton <al...@alsutton.com>.
Guys,

I've just submitted a patch to bring the S1 plugin pom up to 1.3.8 and I'm
getting the following compile error;

D:\Struts2\Build\struts2\plugins\struts1\src\main\java\org\apache\struts2\s1\WrapperModuleConfig.java:[41,0]
org.apache.struts2.s1.WrapperModuleConfig is not abstract and does not
override abstract method findActionConfigId(java.lang.String) in
org.apache.struts.config.ModuleConfig
D:\Struts2\Build\struts2\plugins\struts1\src\main\java\org\apache\struts2\s1\WrapperModuleConfig.java:[41,0]
org.apache.struts2.s1.WrapperModuleConfig is not abstract and does not
override abstract method findActionConfigId(java.lang.String) in
org.apache.struts.config.ModuleConfig

Could this indicate a problem with the S1 plugin thats currently up for
inclusion in S2.1.1?

Al.

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
I don't know Martin, don't you think there is security-conscious and
then there is over-doing it a bit?  If Jeromy took the jars as I
deployed to the staging repo, signed them, then released them to the
mirrors, wouldn't that be sufficient?  He can check the timestamp of
the file and see it was I who created them and that they haven't been
modified.  Yes, I suppose an uber hacker could have rooted the server
and manipulated the timestamps, but if that is the case, we have
_much_ bigger problems then a malicious annotations jar that isn't
even used in a production Struts 2 app.

Don

Re: 2.1 build

Posted by Jeromy Evans <je...@blueskyminds.com.au>.

Re: 2.1 build

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: 2.1 build

Posted by Jeromy Evans <je...@blueskyminds.com.au>.

Re: 2.1 build

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: 2.1 build

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: 2.1 build

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I agree.  I'd like to take a shot at it next time.  I've been too busy
lately to do anything other than work on my client's major release.  Things
should slow down a little next week and the week after.

Thanks again for all you go!

James Mitchell

Re: 2.1 build

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.

Re: 2.1 build

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2008/4/9, Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>:

> Actually, it did.  If you just add up the +1's, they are much more
> than the single -1, and even that was given under the assumption that
> as soon as there were signatures, it would turn into a +1.  My reading
> of the bylaws shows it only needed a majority vote after a 72 hour
> window, so yes, it did pass.

Sorry, I thought that my vote was a veto, I think I have to take a look
again at the rules :-)

Antonio

Re: 2.1 build

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 5:10 PM, Jeromy Evans <
jeromy.evans@blueskyminds.com.au> wrote:

> Martin Cooper wrote:
>

> > Please do *not* edit that file directly. The KEYS file is maintained in
> > SVN,
> > so you need to update that and then refresh the file on the site from
> > that.
> >
> > https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/struts/maven/trunk/build/KEYS
> >

> Fixed. I've updated the instructions:
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/WW/Creating+and+Signing+a+Distribution

Thanks, on both counts.

I didn't see a commit message, though, so could one of the moderators check
the queue, please, and 'allow' jeromy@a.o so that his commit messages show
up? Ta.

--
Martin Cooper

<http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/WW/Creating+and+Signing+a+Distribution>

Re: 2.1 build

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
Actually, it did.  If you just add up the +1's, they are much more
than the single -1, and even that was given under the assumption that
as soon as there were signatures, it would turn into a +1.  My reading
of the bylaws shows it only needed a majority vote after a 72 hour
window, so yes, it did pass.

Don

Re: 2.1 build

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: 2.1 build

Posted by Jeromy Evans <je...@blueskyminds.com.au>.
Thanks Don! Looks like you had another late night.

I'll migrate a large 2.0.9 application to 2.1.1 this weekend, updating
the migration guide as I go.

Re: 2.1 build

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@gmail.com>.
Don, I'm checking out the tag now and will be giving it a thorough test
drive today and tomorrow.

Thanks

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 10:27 AM, Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> wrote:

> I'm in the process of creating that build right now.  Soon, I will
> announce the build to this list and ask for testing.  The Struts
> community will then vote as to its quality, and it may turn into a
> beta or GA release, or remain a test build.
>
> Personally, I'm aiming for a beta release and expect to be doing
> several more quick releases to work out the kinks.
>
> Don
>
> On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 12:24 AM, Giovanni Azua <gi...@imc.nl> wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> >  Is it the tagged version 2.1.1 under subversion
> > "https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/struts/struts2/tags/STRUTS_2_1_1" the
> > recommended 2.1.x to be used?
> >
> >  Will it appear as official GA download anytime soon?
> >
> >  thanks in advance,
> >  Best regards,
> >  Giovanni

James Mitchell

Re: 2.1 build

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.

Re: 2.1 build

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.

Re: 2.1 build

Posted by Jeromy Evans <je...@blueskyminds.com.au>.
Wendy Smoak wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 8:54 AM, Jeromy Evans
> <je...@blueskyminds.com.au> wrote:
>

>> I've signed struts-annotations-1.0.3 using jeromy@apache.org and copied to
>> [1].
>>

> Where/how did you sign them?  Were the files re-built?  Generally you
> only sign what you build yourself, while it's under your control on a
> machine you trust.

Thanks for looking at these Wendy.  It's difficult to step-in part way
through the process.

I checked the source out from the struts-annotations-1.03 TAG.
I packaged and signed them myself but DID NOT deploy to
m2-staging-repository as that task was complete already
 From step 7 of Ref[1], I signed the build artifacts and copied them to

Re: 2.1 build

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Re: 2.1 build

Posted by Jeromy Evans <je...@blueskyminds.com.au>.

Re: 2.1 build

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 12:09 AM, Jeromy Evans <

Re: 2.1 build

Posted by Jeromy Evans <je...@blueskyminds.com.au>.

Re: 2.1 build

Posted by Jeromy Evans <je...@blueskyminds.com.au>.

Re: Scope Plugin

Posted by "matt.payne" <ma...@gmail.com>.
Agreed on excellent value.  It is a tremendous help for wizard type actions.
Is it mature enough though?  I don't think scope interceptor looks at
annotations in a super class.

I tried to consolidate similar functionality into a super class. After I was
finished the annotations in the super class had no effect.

I would like to this become a part of the framework, but I am not sure about
tucking it in just before the 2.1 build.

Matt

Scope Plugin

Re: 2.1 build

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Thanks, Don.

BTW, getting setup for digital signing is harder than it sounds. Every
committer should consider generating a signature and putting it on
file with the foundation. Signing isn't hard, but it can be a
stumblingblock when it comes to posting a release.

 * http://struts.apache.org/2.0.11.1/docs/creating-and-signing-a-distribution.html#CreatingandSigningaDistribution-Onetime

Since ASF distributions are sometimes passed around, it's important
that we sign them, so if a strange problem is reported with a
distribution, we confirm whether it's one of ours, or a forgery.

-Ted.

HTH, Ted
http://husted.com/ted/blog/

Re: 2.1 build

Re: 2.1 build

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
Ok, Struts Annotations 1.0.3 has been signed and released to the
ibiblio sync'ed repository.  If anyone was itching to jump in and get
Struts 2.1.1 out, this would be the time.

Don

Re: 2.1 build

Posted by Don Brown <do...@gmail.com>.

Re: 2.1 build

Posted by Jeromy Evans <je...@blueskyminds.com.au>.
I had a miror configured (http://mirrors.dotsrc.org/maven2).  I've
passed that hiccup using the central repository.

Re: 2.1 build

Posted by Rainer Hermanns <he...@aixcept.de>.
Jeromy,

that's strange... XWork 2.1.1 jars are all available from the central
repository.
See here: http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/com/opensymphony/xwork/2.1.1/

cheers,
Rainer

> Ted, I tried to get you started with a dryRun of release:prepare but I'm
> still missing xwork.jar:2.1.1.  The mvn output is at
> http://people.apache.org/~jeromy/buildlog1.txt
>
> Other details:
>
> * JIRA:  No open issues except the omnibus ticket
> (https://issues.apache.org/struts/browse/WW-2421)
> * Release Notes: reasonably up-to-date:
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/WW/Version+Notes+2.1.1
>
>  > svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/struts/struts2/trunk
> STRUTS_2.1.1
>>  svn info: Revision: 644624
>
> * check pom.xml repositories (I'm not sure values should be here)
>  > find . -name "pom.xml" -exec grep -i -H -n '<repository>' {}
>   ./pom.xml:72
> <url>scp://people.apache.org/www/people.apache.org/builds/struts/${pom.version}/m2-staging-repository</url>
>   ./apps/pom.xml:73 <url>http://repository.codehaus.org</url>
>
>  > find . -name "pom.xml" -exec grep -i -H -n '<snapshotRepository>' {}
>   ./pom.xml
> <url>scp://people.apache.org/www/people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository</url>
>
> * change mvn settings.xml to a clean localRepository and dryRun
> release:prepare
>
>> mvn release:prepare -P release,all,alljars,j4,pre-assembly -DdryRun=true
>
> The mvn output is at http://people.apache.org/~jeromy/buildlog1.txt
> That's as far as I got because I shouldn't have to install:install-file
> xwork-2.1.1 into my localRepository, so I guess I have to wait a little
> longer for it to replicate?
>
> regards,
>  Jeromy Evans
>
> Ted Husted wrote:
>> I'm still heads-down, but I could run a build through the gauntlet.
>> Can anyone confirm that everything else we want to do is done, and
>> we're at the tag and roll point?
>>
>> -Ted.
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 7:21 AM, Rainer Hermanns <he...@aixcept.de>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Ted, others,
>>>
>>>  xwork 2.1.1 is out and should be in the repos shortly.
>>>  So we should be ready for a Struts 2.1.1 release build now.
>>>
>>>  thanks for waiting,
>>>  Rainer

>>> help

Rainer Hermanns
aixcept
Mariahilfstrasse 9
52062 Aachen - Germany
w: http://aixcept.de/
t: +49-241-4012247
m: +49-170-3432912

Re: 2.1 build

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2008/4/4, Jeromy Evans <je...@blueskyminds.com.au>:

> Ted, I tried to get you started with a dryRun of release:prepare but I'm
> still missing xwork.jar:2.1.1.  The mvn output is at
> http://people.apache.org/~jeromy/buildlog1.txt<http://people.apache.org/%7Ejeromy/buildlog1.txt>

This is strange, the XWork 2.1.1 artifacts are in the central repository...

Re: 2.1 build

Posted by Jeromy Evans <je...@blueskyminds.com.au>.
Ted Husted wrote:
> Yes, it is something we should do first. It's on the list, but I
> usually forget about it until the last minute  ... :)
>
> Are you setup to digitally sign the releases, Jeromy?

I've started working my way through it now.  I'll have to come back to
it tomorrow as it's too late on a Friday night in my part of the world.

> Since it seems like you've already done most of the work, would you
> like to add your name to the release plan as a co-manager (along with
> mine)?

I've only run through the easy stuff so far but I'll try to help where I
can.

Re: 2.1 build

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
> [...]

> > > find . -name "pom.xml" -exec grep -i -H -n '<snapshotRepository>' {}
> >  ./pom.xml
> <url>scp://people.apache.org/www/people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository</url>
> >
> > * change mvn settings.xml to a clean localRepository and dryRun
> release:prepare
> >

> > > mvn release:prepare -P release,all,alljars,j4,pre-assembly -DdryRun=true
> > >

> > The mvn output is at http://people.apache.org/~jeromy/buildlog1.txt
> > That's as far as I got because I shouldn't have to install:install-file
> xwork-2.1.1 into my localRepository, so I guess I have to wait a little
> longer for it to replicate?
> >
> > regards,
> > Jeromy Evans
> >
> > Ted Husted wrote:
> >
> > > I'm still heads-down, but I could run a build through the gauntlet.
> > > Can anyone confirm that everything else we want to do is done, and

HTH, Ted
http://husted.com/ted/blog/

Re: 2.1 build

Posted by Rainer Hermanns <he...@aixcept.de>.
I am working on this update right now.

cheers,
Rainer

> probably worth it.
>
> Otherwise
>
> people should
>
> <dependency>
> 			<groupId>org.apache.struts</groupId>
> 			<artifactId>struts2-core</artifactId>
> 			<version>.....</version>
> 			<exclusions>
> 				<exclusion>
> 					<groupId>freemarker</groupId>
> 					<artifactId>freemarker</artifactId>
> 				</exclusion>
> 			</exclusions>
> 		</dependency>
>
> 		<dependency>
> 			<groupId>org.freemarker</groupId>
> 			<artifactId>freemarker</artifactId>
> 			<version>2.3.12</version>
> 		</dependency>
>

> Al Sutton wrote:
>>
>> As a side note there is a new freemarker version out (2.3.12,
>> changenotes
>> at
>> http://www.freemarker.org/docs/versions_2_3_12.html), is it worth
>> bumping
>> the version in the core pom?
>>
>> Al.

Rainer Hermanns
aixcept
Mariahilfstrasse 9
52062 Aachen - Germany
w: http://aixcept.de/
t: +49-241-4012247
m: +49-170-3432912

Re: 2.1 build

Posted by Rainer Hermanns <he...@aixcept.de>.
done

> probably worth it.
>
> Otherwise
>
> people should
>
> <dependency>
> 			<groupId>org.apache.struts</groupId>
> 			<artifactId>struts2-core</artifactId>
> 			<version>.....</version>
> 			<exclusions>
> 				<exclusion>
> 					<groupId>freemarker</groupId>
> 					<artifactId>freemarker</artifactId>
> 				</exclusion>
> 			</exclusions>
> 		</dependency>
>
> 		<dependency>
> 			<groupId>org.freemarker</groupId>
> 			<artifactId>freemarker</artifactId>
> 			<version>2.3.12</version>
> 		</dependency>
>

> Al Sutton wrote:
>>
>> As a side note there is a new freemarker version out (2.3.12,
>> changenotes
>> at
>> http://www.freemarker.org/docs/versions_2_3_12.html), is it worth
>> bumping
>> the version in the core pom?
>>
>> Al.

Rainer Hermanns
aixcept
Mariahilfstrasse 9
52062 Aachen - Germany
w: http://aixcept.de/
t: +49-241-4012247
m: +49-170-3432912

Re: 2.1 build

Posted by "matt.payne" <ma...@gmail.com>.
probably worth it.

Re: 2.1 build

Re: 2.1 build

Posted by Jeromy Evans <je...@blueskyminds.com.au>.

Re: 2.1 build

Posted by Jeromy Evans <je...@blueskyminds.com.au>.

Re: 2.1 build

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
I'm still heads-down, but I could run a build through the gauntlet.
Can anyone confirm that everything else we want to do is done, and
we're at the tag and roll point?

-Ted.

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 7:21 AM, Rainer Hermanns <he...@aixcept.de> wrote:
> Ted, others,
>
>  xwork 2.1.1 is out and should be in the repos shortly.
>  So we should be ready for a Struts 2.1.1 release build now.
>
>  thanks for waiting,
>  Rainer
>

>  On Apr 1, 2008, at 12:24 AM, Ted Husted wrote:
>

> > And, if we're ready to roll a Struts after that, I'd be happy to step
> > through the process Wednesday night.
> >
> > -Ted.
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 4:05 PM, Rainer Hermanns <he...@aixcept.de>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Sorry, but I have to delay the xwork release until tomorrow.
> > > cheers,
> > > Rainer

> help

> > > --