Posted to users@flex.apache.org by Steve McLaughlin <St...@designwithflex.com> on 2013/05/14 19:41:01 UTC

Can Air files or .apk files be de-crypted?

How safe are my .air files or android .apk files?  can they be de-crypted
(un-assembled) like swf files?
Are air files just packaged swf files?  can you pull a swf file out of an
Air package?

thanks,
steve

Re: Can Air files or .apk files be de-crypted?

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.
On 14/05/2013 18:41, Steve McLaughlin wrote:
> How safe
Against what ?
Of course they can be decrypted - the operating system has to be able to
run them.

It sounds like you are worried either about art assets being stripped or
your business logic being stolen ?

There's not much you can do about artwork - there will always be screen
shot tools.

There are SWF obstruction tools out there that will meddle with the byte
code, but I've never used them myself; we've never profiled our
attackers as being that motivated against our product.

Tom

RE: Can Air files or .apk files be de-crypted?

Posted by Mark Line <ma...@gmail.com>.
Unzip a apk file and your find a swf within. Same goes for .air

Cheers

Mark

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
Same with .air files.  It is a zip archive file.  Once you unzip it it, you
can see the corresponding .swf file and other assets.

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Timothy Jones <Ti...@syniverse.com>.
The zip format is used in hundreds of file types.  Everything from WMZ (Windows Media Player Skins), jar/war/ear J2EE files, newer document formats (odt, docx), etc.
And why not?  Zip is universally supported in most languages' libraries, and on just about every OS, and there are dozens of competing & (mostly) compatible implementations.

The way I explain it to people: Zip files are everywhere, but the different extensions are used to signal expectations of what kind of files and layout to find inside.

tlj
  APK files are just zip files.  Change the extension and unzip it.  I think the SWF is inside the zip and I assume it can be decrypted as easily as a SWF.

  [Ditto for .AIR files]

   I'm not sure what "based on the JAR file format" means; as I thought a JAR was also a zip file with a different extension.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur

Re: Can Air files or .apk files be de-crypted?

Posted by Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com>.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur