Posted to dev@airflow.apache.org by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com> on 2023/11/15 13:22:38 UTC

[DISCUSS] Suspend (Remove?) Daskexecutor provider

Hello Everyone,

I would like to start discussion about potential suspension and eventually
removal of Daskexecutor provider.

After some recent changes and moving DaskExecutor from core to provider we
have now an open option to suspend and eventually remove Dask Executor from
our codebase.

After we have the process tested and tried with Qubole, for me this is the
next candidate to remove and get rid of some burden it involves.

I believe this executor is hardly used by anyone - IMHO it does not really
add a value to our Executor's offering and it causes a number of CI/
maintenance issues for us, while we have little to no experience and
incentive and knowledge to manage it. It slows us down, makes our CI flaky,
sometimes delays our release process etc etc.

Some of the past discussions about it (this is the third time I am (re)
starting this discussion - the first time it was in 2020 when we discussed
removing it for Airflow 2.0.

* https://lists.apache.org/thread/6stgcpjt5jb3xfw92oo1j486j33c8v7m
* https://lists.apache.org/thread/875fpgb7vfpmtxrmt19jmo8d3p6mgqnh

Some of the recent problems with Dask executor impacting stability of our
CI / tests/ impacting release process are manifested in those issues and
PRs over the last few years (and this is just a subset of issues and PRs
dealing with the stability of it.

* https://github.com/apache/airflow/pull/35659
* https://github.com/apache/airflow/issues/32778
* https://github.com/apache/airflow/pull/35473
* https://github.com/apache/airflow/pull/32991
* https://github.com/apache/airflow/pull/30258
* https://github.com/apache/airflow/pull/22046
* https://github.com/apache/airflow/pull/22017

Why now? What changed?

One of the fantastic properties of the "providers" approach and moving the
executor from core to provider - we can now ACTUALLY remove DaskExecutor
without breaking any of our SemVer promises. This is something I was
working on for quite a while and with some of the recent changes - making
our Executor API stable and part of our public interface, introducing full
life-cycle process for providers this is now entirely possible to remove
all the maintenance burden while keeping our SemVer promises - so that we
can do it without bumping Airflow to version 3.

How does it work ? Simply - provider will remain released, and it will
remain working in the version it has been released for the last time with
all the future versions of Airflow, But at the same time we can remove the
code from main of Airflow, stop running tests, stop caring about the
provider impacting the constraints and generally speaking.

If we decide to do somethin about, we have three options:

1) Suspend the daskexecutor provider
2) Remove it
3) We can also follow Suspend -> wait few months -> remove) pattern

All of them are easy, all of them bring us much welcome relief in our
release and CI and maintenance burden. All of them are well documented and
tried and all that we need is just to agree which scenario we want to
follow.

In case 1) we will stop releasing new versions, but in case any new
"development" is done on the dask side that will break currently released
providers, it will be on someone who will take on the task to bring it back
from suspension - fix all dependency issues, make sure tests are green and
then it's just a matter of PR to bring it back. This is really a way to say
"Hey Dask Executor community, if you want to keep any future development,
it's on you to bring it back from suspension and take the task to solve all
the difficulties we currently have to leave with in Airflow community".

In case 2) we deliberately decide we do not want to maintain it any more
and if someone would like to bring it back, they will have to convince the
community and get the VOTE or LAZY CONSENSUS to bring it back (and then it
could be even different provider package, not compatible etc.).

WDYT? Are there any DaskExecutor users around or someone you know of who
would rely on it heavily? Are there any reasons why we should keep it as is
? Which of the above scenarios would you like to see?

I would love to hear your opinions on that. If we see that we would like to
follow 1) or 2) I am happy to pass the message to the Dask community and
let them know that they will need to be involved in case they will want to
bring back Dask from suspension or removal - I did that before for some of
the past issues and I am happy to be the messenger (hopefull no-one shoots
me).

J.

Re: [DISCUSS] Suspend (Remove?) Daskexecutor provider

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.
Maintaining security fixes is independent from suspension/removal.

We are obliged to release security fixes regardless if it's something in
our code. For example if we have a report for Qubole and we assess it is
valid and it will need change in our code, we should still do it for quite
some time (we do not have specific expectations for that time - but in the
future CRA regulation there is an expectation to set " expected time of
life" for anything released and this would be as long as we set it then).

In both cases if we need to do it - we would do it branching off at the TAG
when the last release happened and develop/release a fix from there.

J.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.

Posted by Hussein Awala <hu...@awala.fr>.

Posted by "Ferruzzi, Dennis" <fe...@amazon.com.INVALID>.
Just getting back from some time away, if it's till up for discussion, I'd vote for staged removal, the same as any other provider package being dropped.  Perhaps the intermediate step might shake loose a user who cares enough to take it on.  If not, we lose nothing but a little time.

 - ferruzzi

________________________________
Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.

Posted by Kaxil Naik <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.

Posted by Wei Lee <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrey Anshin <an...@taragol.is>.

Posted by Aritra Basu <ar...@gmail.com>.
+1 All for removing it if it's not in use and is giving us trouble with
maintaining.

Aritra Basu

Posted by Amogh Desai <am...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Collin McNulty <co...@astronomer.io.INVALID>.