Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Renen Watermeyer <re...@gmail.com> on 2006/04/03 23:32:13 UTC

POP problems

Hello.

First off, thanks to the team who keeps James up and running. It's a
fantastic product.

I have been using the mail server for quite some time. Recently I
started logging outbound mail to a POP account so that I can work out
how big it is. I also log bounced email to a POP account.

In both instances I asynchronously connect and clear the accounts
every five minutes.

Except that James seems to lose the plot and after a while the POP
server returns 0 messages to Java mail.

Any ideas?

Perhaps I should connect slightly less often.

I have also noticed that it is prudent to POP less than 200 mails at a
shot (otherwise it fails repeatedly with an EOF error). Which also
seems pretty weird.

Perhaps related to this – if you don't clear a mail box for a long
time, I eventually get an intermittently failure "Sending failed;
nested exception is: class javax.mail.MessagingException: Could not
connect to SMTP host: 127.0.0.1, port: 25". Clearing the mailboxes
seems to correct this….

Is there a better way I could calculate (and log) the size of messages?

I am running James on a small Windows server (2Gb RAM, 1 hyperthreaded
processor). Configuration available if needs be.

Thanks in advance.

Renen.