Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by "seloha ." <se...@hotmail.com> on 2005/05/07 15:46:16 UTC

tapestry 4.0 ognl lib missing in workbench.war

I've just downloaded 4.0 alpha 2 and tried to run the workbench.

The ognl library was not put into workbench.war. Obviously problem easily
solved by placing the latest ognl jar file in WEB-INF/lib.

I hope this is useful to someone.

Re: tapestry 4.0 ognl lib missing in workbench.war

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
The official Apache line is that binary distros can't include binaries
for non-ASF projects. If its downloaded of an Apache mirror, it must
be 100% apache. Thus you can see why the dynamic linking behavior of
HiveMind is so important to me!

On 5/7/05, Todd O'Bryan <to...@mac.com> wrote:
> This is a gotcha that's gotten me.
>
> OGNL and JavAssist both use a license that's incompatible with
> Tapestry and must be downloaded separately. Maybe we should meet the
> OGNL and JavAssist people in a dark alley somewhere and teach them
> the advantages of the Apache license, if you know what I mean. :-)
>
> Todd
>
> On May 7, 2005, at 9:46 AM, seloha . wrote:
>
> > I've just downloaded 4.0 alpha 2 and tried to run the workbench.
> >
> > The ognl library was not put into workbench.war. Obviously problem
> > easily solved by placing the latest ognl jar file in WEB-INF/lib.
> >
> > I hope this is useful to someone.

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
Creator, Jakarta HiveMind

Re: tapestry 4.0 ognl lib missing in workbench.war

Posted by Paul Ferraro <pm...@columbia.edu>.
Actually, this is not a license issue at all.  The workbench build
script needs to be updated to include ognl as a runtime library (not
just compile-time).  I'm in the process of fixing this now.

Paul

Posted by Johan Maasing <jo...@zoom.nu>.
Todd O'Bryan wrote:
> This is a gotcha that's gotten me.
>
> OGNL and JavAssist both use a license that's incompatible with  Tapestry

I've been wondering about this, perhaps someone with more understanding
of the license issues could explain this but JavAssist is released as
GPL (Gnu) or MPL (Mozilla) http://www.csg.is.titech.ac.jp/~chiba/javassist/.

Now GPL is not compatible with the Apache license - that is clearly
stated at http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html.

But I haven't been able to find anything that says that MPL-JavAssist
can not be distributed together with software covered by the ASF. The
MPL states (if I understand this right)
http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/mpl-faq.html that you may distribute the
binaries as part of a larger application and use a different license if
you so desire.

OGNL seems to have the follwing requirement:
"Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
Neither the name of the Drew Davidson nor the names of its contributors
may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software
without specific prior written permission."

I can not see how this would prevent OGNL to be distributed with Tapestry.

It would be really nice if the binary distribution of Tapestry could
contain all 3d party libraries needed.

Posted by Todd O'Bryan <to...@mac.com>.