Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Denise Mangano <De...@complusdata.com> on 2004/03/08 19:44:43 UTC

[users@httpd] HTTP 302 - cannot access web page from internal network

Afternoon all.  I have a pretty big problem and could really use some
help.  I've scoured search engines and archives, and message boards for
Linux and networking... But have come up pretty empty handed.

This is my server environment... RedHat Linux 9.0, Apache 1.3.9, Tomcat
4.1.30.  My server is on a separate DMZ from our internal network.  IP
scheme of DMZ is 10.10.X.X, internal network is 192.168.X.X.

My web pages are completely accessible and functional ... To the outside
world.  However when I try to access the web pages from our internal
network I cannot pull up the pages by either IP or domain name.
According to our network guys internal requests for my web pages go
directly to the 10.10.X.X address instead of going out to the internet
and in through the firewall.  When I try by domain name nothing appears
in my access_log.  When I try by IP address an entry appears in my
access_log indicated an HTTP 302.  Nothing shows up in my error_log -
not even when I turn the LogLevel to debug.

When I telnet to port 80 on my web server I get the following output:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN"> <HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE>302 Found</TITLE>
</HEAD><BODY>
<H1>Found</H1>
The document has moved <A HREF=3D"http://www.mywebsite.com">here</A>.<P>
<HR>
<ADDRESS>Apache/1.3.29 Server at www Port 80</ADDRESS> </BODY></HTML>

But this is not displayed to me in a browser when I try it that way.  I
have ruled out RedHat as the culprit, and my network guy swears the
firewall config is right and nothing on the network end is blocking this
traffic.... Leaving Apache.  The only time I use Redirects at all is for
the following:

# The first VirtualHost section is used for requests without a known
server name (will handle all other domains that were registered)

<VirtualHost *>
  DocumentRoot "/usr/local/apache/htdocs"
  <Directory "/usr/local/apache/htdocs">
     Options -Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews Includes
     AllowOverride None
     Order allow,deny
     Allow from all
   </Directory>
   Redirect /index.html http://www.mywebsite.com

   #Add a redirect in for each client so all requests from incorrect
domains still get routed
   Redirect /demo http://www.mywebsite.com/demo
   Redirect /test http://www.mywebsite.com/test

</VirtualHost>

The purpose of this Virtual host is to make sure that all requests end
up on www.mywebsite.com because that is the domain our SSL certificate
is issued to.  We own 5 other domains that are close to our domain name
so this way if www.mywebsites.com is typed in my server automatically
redirects it to www.mywebsite.com

Please help :)  While this is not mission critical it does make
troubleshooting difficult and I can't roll out my changes to my web app
without being able to access it from inside to make sure everything
rolls out ok.

Thanks!

Denise Mangano
Complus Data Innovations, Inc.
914-747-1200

RE: [users@httpd] Resin Vs Tomcat

Posted by Steffen Heil <li...@steffen-heil.de>.
Hi

> I have 6 very small jsp scripts running on my Linux server, but the hit
ratio is VERY VERY high [600,000 hits per hour for same scripts]

In this case, rewrite your scripts as pure servlets, which should be way
faster.
Then, resin and tomcat should be equally fast.

cu
  Steffen

[users@httpd] Resin Vs Tomcat

Posted by Richard correia <ri...@ugamsolutions.com>.
Hi,

Anybody have used Resin for jsp scripting?

Is it faster than Tomcat engine?

I have 6 very small jsp scripts running on my Linux server, but the hit
ratio is VERY VERY high [600,000 hits per hour for same scripts]

Thanks
Richard

Re: [users@httpd] HTTP 302 - cannot access web page from internal network

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Denise Mangano wrote:
> This is my server environment... RedHat Linux 9.0, Apache 1.3.9,

I hope that is a type.  1.3.9 is extremely old.

> My web pages are completely accessible and functional ... To the outside
> world.  However when I try to access the web pages from our internal
> network I cannot pull up the pages by either IP or domain name.
> According to our network guys internal requests for my web pages go
> directly to the 10.10.X.X address instead of going out to the internet
> and in through the firewall.  When I try by domain name nothing appears
> in my access_log.  When I try by IP address an entry appears in my
> access_log indicated an HTTP 302.  Nothing shows up in my error_log -
> not even when I turn the LogLevel to debug.

This is almost certainly a problem with internal name-resolution.  Try:
nslookup www.mywebsite.com
from the affected computer.  If the result is not the expected IP
address, then you need to fix your internal dns.

Joshua.