Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org> on 2010/05/17 23:07:18 UTC

Merging XDBM modules

Hi dev,

we have a very deep dependency hierarchy within apacheds:

jdbm-partition            has dependency to
|- xdbm-search            has dependency to
   |- jdbm-store          has test dependency to
      |- core-avl         has dependency to
         |- xdbm-base     has dependency to
            |- core-api   has dependency to

As far as I know xdbm has been spitted into two separate modules to
decouple it from jdbm but keep the search engine (xdbm-search) testable
using jdbm-store, which is an implementation of xdbm-base.

Today we have another store implementation, the in-memory AVL store.
This would make it possible to merge xdbm-base and xdbm-search again. A
requirement is to move the AVL store classes from avl-partition to xdbm
and use the AVL store for testing the XDBM search engine.

The resulting dependency tree then would look like this:

jdbm-partition
|- jdbm-store
   |- xdbm (merged xdbm-search and xdbm-base plus AVL store classes)
      |- core-avl
      |- core-api

IMO this step brings lot of advantages: Less modules. Less dependencies.
XDBM gets completely decoupled from JDBM.

Thoughts?

Kind Regards,
Stefan

P.S. A further step is to merge jdbm-store into jdbm-partition and maybe
core-avl into core-api.

Re: Merging XDBM modules

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
On 5/19/10 1:40 AM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
> Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>
>> On 5/17/10 11:07 PM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
>>
>>> Hi dev,
>>>
>>> we have a very deep dependency hierarchy within apacheds:
>>>
>>> jdbm-partition            has dependency to
>>> |- xdbm-search            has dependency to
>>>      |- jdbm-store          has test dependency to
>>>         |- core-avl         has dependency to
>>>            |- xdbm-base     has dependency to
>>>               |- core-api   has dependency to
>>>
>>> As far as I know xdbm has been spitted into two separate modules to
>>> decouple it from jdbm but keep the search engine (xdbm-search) testable
>>> using jdbm-store, which is an implementation of xdbm-base.
>>>
>>> Today we have another store implementation, the in-memory AVL store.
>>> This would make it possible to merge xdbm-base and xdbm-search again. A
>>> requirement is to move the AVL store classes from avl-partition to xdbm
>>> and use the AVL store for testing the XDBM search engine.
>>>
>>> The resulting dependency tree then would look like this:
>>>
>>> jdbm-partition
>>> |- jdbm-store
>>>      |- xdbm (merged xdbm-search and xdbm-base plus AVL store classes)
>>>         |- core-avl
>>>         |- core-api
>>>
>>> IMO this step brings lot of advantages: Less modules. Less dependencies.
>>> XDBM gets completely decoupled from JDBM.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>

>> +1
>>
>> However, as it may break a lot of things can you do this big change in a
>> branch, then merge it ?
>>
> Done in the branch:
>
> If there in no objection I'll merge the branch tomorrow to trunk.

Go for it.--

Regards,
Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.nextury.com

Re: Merging XDBM modules

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org>.

Re: Merging XDBM modules

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org>.
>>>        |- core-avl         has dependency to
>>>           |- xdbm-base

To remove this dependency I moved Tuple, TupleCursor,
AbstractTupleCursor, and TupleRenderer from xdbm-base to shared-cursor:

Re: Merging XDBM modules

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org>.
Emmanuel Lecharny schrieb:
> On 5/17/10 11:07 PM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
>> Hi dev,
>>
>> we have a very deep dependency hierarchy within apacheds:
>>
>> jdbm-partition            has dependency to
>> |- xdbm-search            has dependency to
>>     |- jdbm-store          has test dependency to
>>        |- core-avl         has dependency to
>>           |- xdbm-base     has dependency to
>>              |- core-api   has dependency to
>>
>> As far as I know xdbm has been spitted into two separate modules to
>> decouple it from jdbm but keep the search engine (xdbm-search) testable
>> using jdbm-store, which is an implementation of xdbm-base.
>>
>> Today we have another store implementation, the in-memory AVL store.
>> This would make it possible to merge xdbm-base and xdbm-search again. A
>> requirement is to move the AVL store classes from avl-partition to xdbm
>> and use the AVL store for testing the XDBM search engine.
>>
>> The resulting dependency tree then would look like this:
>>
>> jdbm-partition
>> |- jdbm-store
>>     |- xdbm (merged xdbm-search and xdbm-base plus AVL store classes)
>>        |- core-avl
>>        |- core-api
>>
>> IMO this step brings lot of advantages: Less modules. Less dependencies.
>> XDBM gets completely decoupled from JDBM.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
> +1
>
> However, as it may break a lot of things can you do this big change in a
> branch, then merge it ?

Ok, will do so. I hope the merge works well with all the moved files.

Kind Regards,
Stefan

Re: Merging XDBM modules

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
On 5/17/10 11:07 PM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
> Hi dev,
>
> we have a very deep dependency hierarchy within apacheds:
>
> jdbm-partition            has dependency to
> |- xdbm-search            has dependency to
>     |- jdbm-store          has test dependency to
>        |- core-avl         has dependency to
>           |- xdbm-base     has dependency to
>              |- core-api   has dependency to
>
> As far as I know xdbm has been spitted into two separate modules to
> decouple it from jdbm but keep the search engine (xdbm-search) testable
> using jdbm-store, which is an implementation of xdbm-base.
>
> Today we have another store implementation, the in-memory AVL store.
> This would make it possible to merge xdbm-base and xdbm-search again. A
> requirement is to move the AVL store classes from avl-partition to xdbm
> and use the AVL store for testing the XDBM search engine.
>
> The resulting dependency tree then would look like this:
>
> jdbm-partition
> |- jdbm-store
>     |- xdbm (merged xdbm-search and xdbm-base plus AVL store classes)
>        |- core-avl
>        |- core-api
>
> IMO this step brings lot of advantages: Less modules. Less dependencies.
> XDBM gets completely decoupled from JDBM.
>
> Thoughts?

+1

However, as it may break a lot of things can you do this big change in a
branch, then merge it ?

Thanks !

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny