Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Stephane Maarek <st...@simplemachines.com.au> on 2018/03/21 03:24:15 UTC

Kafka version and JDK version

Hi

If I remember correctly, Kafka 2.0 is targeted this summer as it'll drop
support for java 7 and dropping a java version is supposed to imply a major
version bump in Kafka.

Now that Java has a very quick release cycle for JDK (version 10 today), my
question is: how fast will Kafka versioning go ?

My point of view is that we shouldn't increment the Kafka version as fast
as Java, but that's currently the way it seems it'll go

My perspective is that from someone who teaches Kafka, students expect
major version bumps to have major effects on how they program. But it's a
tough sell to explain that Kafka 2.0 has nothing major in the functioning
or programming style except the underlying Java version.

I just want to hear thoughts and opinions and start a discussion.

Thanks !
Stéphane

Re: Kafka version and JDK version

Posted by Stephane Maarek <st...@simplemachines.com.au>.
Sounds good ! Thanks for the detailed explanation :)

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@gmail.com>.
Hi Stephane,