Posted to embperl@perl.apache.org by Kaare Rasmussen <ka...@webline.dk> on 2000/07/08 19:26:22 UTC

Too complex ??

Hi

Can a page become too complex for Embperl?

I've used some hours to track down errors in a web page I'm trying to convert
to Embperl. There's a lot of text, with headers, unordered lists, Italic,
center and so on.

There was a few bugs in the HTML code, but even if I correct that, I have some
strange results. A page can work perfectly until I reinsert a &nbsp; or an <I>
</I> pair.

Then the page hangs until I push the Stop button.

I just installed the latest Embperl from CPAN, and I'm using Embperlobjects.
What can I do to track the problem down?

Kaki Data                tshirts, merchandize      Fax:        3816 2582
Howitzvej 75               �ben 14.00-18.00        Email: kar@webline.dk
2000 Frederiksberg        L�rdag 11.00-17.00       Web:      www.suse.dk

RE: Too complex ??

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.
> > P.S. I am out of office for the next 5 days, so I will not be
> able to answer
> > any mail before friday
>
> Hm, as always this is something that has to be solved quick.
>
> But I'll send you the pages involved if you'll look at them when
> you come back.
> Maybe there is a special situation here that my page stumbles on.

I use EmbperlObject very much in my own projects and never see this problem.

You can send me the pages and a take a look at them at the next weekend. Now
I turning my computer off for the next week :-)

Gerald

RE: Too complex ??

Posted by Kaare Rasmussen <ka...@webline.dk>.
> No, there are no limits (only the size of your swap file, but if you hit
> this, something is properbly really going wrong)

Thought so, and my page is not really complex. But is is avery strange
behavior.

The same page can load correctly, and then later I get these angle brackets,
and vice versa.

At one point it seemed that if I changed anything in the base.tepl, then the
page would load. But then later, it did not :-(

> Try setting optRedirectStdout. Does this change anything? If yes, there
> _must_ be some Perl code, that writes to STDOUT (i.e. a print)

No change. I still get a loadful of <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<><<<<<<<><><<<<<<<<<><<<<<><<<<<<><<<>

> Strange, very strange. I never seen this before, only if you (or a module
> you use) somewhere writes directly to STDOUT, instead using Embperl output
> functions.

But it's a very simple page, Perl wise. I have a EmbperlObject base page where
there is a little Perl, but the main page is void of Embperl.

RE: Too complex ??

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.
Hi

> Can a page become too complex for Embperl?

No, there are no limits (only the size of your swap file, but if you hit
this, something is properbly really going wrong)

[..]
>    <<<<<<><<<>HTTP/1.1 200 OK Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 10:03:21 GMT Server:
>    Apache/1.3.12 (Unix) mod_perl/1.24 Content-Length: 4468 Connection:
>    close Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
>
> The problem is of course the leading angle brackets. Something is
> going wrong,
> and I can't see why. As I know, this will only happen if I use print,

Yes

E-Mail:     richter@ecos.de         Voice:    +49 6133 925151