Posted to embperl@perl.apache.org by Brent Hardinge <br...@bibleinfo.com> on 2002/10/03 02:38:06 UTC

Targeting with location

I know this may be basic question, but I am stumped.

I need to load a page that is in a nested frame using the following
statement:
[-
$http_headers_out{'Location'} = $redirectionvar ;
-]

that works fine, but I need to be able to target "_top" or some other
frame. Is there a way? what is the syntax?

Thanks,

Brent Hardinge
Web Designer
Bibleinfo.com
____________________________

Seventh-day Adventist Church
Upper Columbia Conference

PO Box 19039
Spokane WA 99219-9039

3715 S Grove Rd
Spokane WA 99224-5319

brent@bibleinfo.com
509.838.2761 office
509.838.4882 fax

Re: Targeting with location

Posted by Andre Landwehr <an...@gmx.net>.
On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 05:38:06PM -0700, Brent Hardinge wrote:
> [-
> $http_headers_out{'Location'} = $redirectionvar ;
> -]
>
> that works fine, but I need to be able to target "_top" or some other
> frame. Is there a way? what is the syntax?

With http_headers_out you can only modify headers of the http
protocol, which essentially is a transport protocol and not a
browser remote-control protocol ;-)
Unless I overlooked sth. in the http short reference I don't
think it's possible to do that with http headers. I'm afraid
javascript's window.open() will be the method of choice...

Maybe you can simulate the behaviour using http_headers_out to
call a dummy page, which right in the <body> tag has a
onLoad javascript command, which then does a
window.open("the_url_you_really_want") and history.back() to
restore the old page. But that is definitely very very bad coding
style ;-)

Andre

--
"The inside of a computer is as dumb as hell, but it goes like mad!"
(Physicist Richard Feynman)