Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by eugenebalt <eu...@yahoo.com> on 2011/07/25 19:17:55 UTC

Replacing Spring MVC with Wicket in Existing Spring/Hibernate project

Hi,

I have an existing Spring/Hibernate project currently using SpringMVC as the
presentation layer, and I need to port it to Wicket.

I looked at the "quickstart" downloads for Wicket for how to create a Wicket
project, but that's not a Spring/Hibernate project. I already have my
Spring/Hibernate infrastructure set up, now all that needs to go is Spring
MVC.

What do I need to set up Wicket? I am thinking
- JAR file(s)
- web.xml changes?

Where can I find this info, without going through the Maven/Quickstart
examples? Thanks.

Re: Replacing Spring MVC with Wicket in Existing Spring/Hibernate project

Posted by Zilvinas Vilutis <ci...@gmail.com>.
No,

It's an off-topic for wicket, but maven just helps standardize things
for development and make it easier to manage dependencies & stuff. It
enables you to forget all the little details required to run a project
based on open source libraries & frameworks - just add a dependency
definition and let maven do the job.

Once you build the project - maven gives you an output ( jar, war or
ear - whatever appropriate ) package which you can transfer anywhere
you need.

Thanks to maven we now have so many open source projects &
contributions, because it made things much easier.

Regards

Žilvinas Vilutis

E-mail:   cikasfm@gmail.com

Posted by eugenebalt <eu...@yahoo.com>.
Guys, you need to add a regular-Ant, non-Maven QuickStart to your QuickStart
page. Right now it's not there, and this is severely limiting.

I was hoping at least Wicket wouldn't force me to go through some bloated
messy configuration to get a simple app in place, unlike
Spring/Hibernate/etc.

Re: Replacing Spring MVC with Wicket in Existing Spring/Hibernate project

Posted by Zilvinas Vilutis <ci...@gmail.com>.
You add a wicket filter in the web.xml and you're done!

I've tried to use a wicket + spring + hibernate quickstart and posted
the results here:
http://blog.cikas.info/posts/27/dont-do-what-you-dont-need-to-do

Regards

Žilvinas Vilutis

Posted by eugenebalt <eu...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Bruno Borges <br...@gmail.com>.
You should pick the last 1.4 stable version, as of the time of this email,
would be 1.4.17.

Secondly, Hibernate is an implementation of JPA and has no relationship with
Wicket, but it has with Spring. You may drop all of your Spring MVC code,
and keep the rest of its service and data layers.

Why don't you run your system and save the screens in static HTML files?
That way it will be easier to apply the wicket:id modifiers to dynamic
nodes.

Then you will only have to code the presentation layer of Wicket as Java
classes.

Also, get Spring 3.0.5.

*Bruno Borges*
www.brunoborges.com.br
+55 21 76727099

Posted by eugenebalt <eu...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks, so I should choose

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
See the quickstarts at http://www.jweekend.com/dev/LegUp

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 8:17 PM, eugenebalt <eu...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an existing Spring/Hibernate project currently using SpringMVC as the
> presentation layer, and I need to port it to Wicket.
>
> I looked at the "quickstart" downloads for Wicket for how to create a Wicket
> project, but that's not a Spring/Hibernate project. I already have my
> Spring/Hibernate infrastructure set up, now all that needs to go is Spring
> MVC.
>
> What do I need to set up Wicket? I am thinking
> - JAR file(s)
> - web.xml changes?
>
> Where can I find this info, without going through the Maven/Quickstart
> examples? Thanks.

Martin Grigorov
jWeekend
Training, Consulting, Development
http://jWeekend.com

Re: Replacing Spring MVC with Wicket in Existing Spring/Hibernate project

Posted by jcgarciam <jc...@gmail.com>.
Eugene, Maven is just for development usually is just required you to put
maven instalation on your hard drive, set the PATH variable to the /bin
directory in order to be able to locate mvn in your command prompt (shell)
and you're all set.

If you do that, take the wicket quickstart from wicket page and put that on
a command prompt (shell) should be enough to get that started.

In the end after finishing you just need to grab the WAR from the target
directory (by running *mvn package*) and send that war to your teacher.

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 9:03 PM, Randy S. [via Apache Wicket] <
ml-node+3694473-1917891730-65838@n4.nabble.com> wrote:

> Glad to help.  Read the intro to slf4j. You should only use two slf4j jars:
>
> the api plus exactly ONE implementation API jar. If that implementation has
>
> dependencies then of course you'll need to add those as well. But several
> implementations don't require anything additional.
>  On Jul 25, 2011 5:29 PM, "eugenebalt" <[hidden email]<http://user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=3694473&i=0>>
> wrote:
>
> > Thanks Randy. I added one more question about SLF4J, I am getting this
> > exception even after adding all the 12-13 SLF4J JARs:
> >
> > Detected both jcl-over-slf4j.jar AND slf4j-jcl.jar on the class path,
> > preempting StackOverflowError
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > --

> below:
>
> http://apache-wicket.1842946.n4.nabble.com/Replacing-Spring-MVC-with-Wicket-in-Existing-Spring-Hibernate-project-tp3693395p3694473.html
>  To start a new topic under Apache Wicket, email
> ml-node+1842946-398011874-65838@n4.nabble.com

JC

Re: Replacing Spring MVC with Wicket in Existing Spring/Hibernate project

Posted by Randy Schnedler <ra...@gmail.com>.