Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Jerry M <te...@malcolms.com> on 2007/02/20 17:04:44 UTC

Original Message not returned in a bounce

If I have a typo in the email address of a recipient, I get the expected
bounce from James.  But apparently since I moved to 2.3.0, I no longer
get the original email message as part of the bounce.  That is very
inconvenient, especially if I sent several notes to the person in the
last hour or so.  I have no way of knowing which one bounced.

Is this a configuration problem I have in my config.xml file?   Is not
returning the orig msg a new feature in 2.3.0?  Or is there something
else wrong.

Please advise what I can do to get the orig message returned as part of
the bounce.

Thanks.

Jerry

Re: Original Message not returned in a bounce

Posted by Steven Azueta <st...@gmail.com>.
It might be a config issue where you need to specify "message" as the
attachment (though it's discouraged in the fight against spam).

Here's a snippet from the "local-address-error" processor in
config.xml -- maybe if you uncomment the match="All" mailet and change
attachment from "none" to "message" it will work...

<!-- To notify the sender the address was invalid, uncomment this
matcher/mailet configuration -->
<!-- The original message is not attached to keep the bounce processor
from deliverying spam -->
<!--
<mailet match="All" class="Bounce">
  <attachment>none</attachment>
</mailet>
-->

Posted by Michael Weissenbacher <mw...@dermichi.com>.
Hi,
> I am curious, though, about your comment that sending the message back
> as an attachment affects spam.  I realize that including the orig note
> increases the size of the bounce that needs to be sent.  But other than
> that, I don't see how it's going to help spammers be more effective.  Is
> it simply a bandwidth issue?  Or am I missing something else?
Yes, spammers could easily trick your server to send bounce messages
with their message attached. This way your server will effectively
become a spam sender and may also be blacklisted.
If the original message isn't attached to the bounce, it is worthless
for the spammer.

Michael

Re: Original Message not returned in a bounce

Posted by Michael Weissenbacher <mw...@dermichi.com>.
Hi,
> Good point.  Thanks for the explanation.  But in my case, I ONLY bounce
> outbound messages from authenticated users that cannot be delivered (due
> to invalid domain name or domain down).  So there's no risk in attaching
> the message on the bounce since they are only going back to my own
> authenticated users.   I stopped bouncing entirely for inbound messages,
> and am anxiously awaiting fastfail....
Well, bouncing full messages to authenticated users is fine.

Maybe you should consider bouncing a minimal message for inbound
messages, just to be nice to your legetimate senders. Because of the way
JAMES works (no fastfail), they won't get a notification if they
mistyped the address. Of course, that's up to you and your policy.

Michael

Re: Original Message not returned in a bounce

Posted by Jerry M <te...@malcolms.com>.

Posted by Jerry M <te...@malcolms.com>.
Thanks Steven.  I'll look into how I have it configured.

I am curious, though, about your comment that sending the message back
as an attachment affects spam.  I realize that including the orig note
increases the size of the bounce that needs to be sent.  But other than
that, I don't see how it's going to help spammers be more effective.  Is
it simply a bandwidth issue?  Or am I missing something else?

Thanks again.

Jerry