Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by deqiang sun <de...@bcm.edu> on 2010/03/03 01:04:46 UTC

STDERR and location of new files

Hi everyone,

I am running a perl script through streaming at the beginning of which I print a test identifier to STDERR:
print STDERR "whereisthis\n";

However, I can NOT find such "whereisthis" after I checked the log files and the web interface.

Could anyone tell me how to fix this?

Should I turn on the STDERR somewhere?

I also tried to create and write this identifier to a file. I can NOT find the file either.

Thanks, ds

Re: STDERR and location of new files

Posted by prasenjit mukherjee <pr...@gmail.com>.
I sympathize with you. I actually  automated what you just mentioned.
Remotely issue  a find/grep command in the userlog   directory on all
the nodes.  Painful, but that seems to be the only option.

-Prasen

Posted by deqiang sun <de...@bcm.edu>.
I found the stderr log on datanodes.
However, I think that's not convenient at all.
I do see on the jobtracker page there's link to the datanodes. But the link is broken, it is not working.
I have to login, tar, scp to get the log files on each individual datanode.

Is there a better way to do that? Or is there a better way to do the debugging and tunning?

Thanks, ds

On Mar 2, 2010, at 6:04 PM, deqiang sun wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am running a perl script through streaming at the beginning of which I print a test identifier to STDERR:
> print STDERR "whereisthis\n";
>

> However, I can NOT find such "whereisthis" after I checked the log files and the web interface.
>
> Could anyone tell me how to fix this?
>
> Should I turn on the STDERR somewhere?
>
> I also tried to create and write this identifier to a file. I can NOT find the file either.
>
> Thanks, ds

deqiang sun
Baylor College of Medicine
deqiangs@bcm.edu