Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org> on 2013/09/02 10:37:20 UTC

Java version of Ivy/IvyDE

Ivy and IvyDE are still supporting Java 1.4.

Java 1.4 is starting to be very old. And I am missing generics (I need them so much that I do some generic-commenting [1]). So I suggest to require at least Java 5.

As discussed with the Java requirement of Ant, Java 5 is deprecated too, and I for instance cannot run it anymore on my machine. So I would suggest to jump directly to require Java 6.

So what do you think ?
[ ] we should continue to support Java 1.4
[ ] we should make Ivy and IvyDE require Java 5
[ ] we should make Ivy and IvyDE require Java 6

Nicolas

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/ivy/core/trunk/src/java/org/apache/ivy/osgi/repo/ArtifactReportManifestIterable.java

Re: Java version of Ivy/IvyDE

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.
Le 2 sept. 2013 à 11:40, Andre-John Mas <an...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> I would vote for supporting Java 6 and then indicating on the website which ant + ivy/ivyDE version combination is needed to support pre-JDK 1.6 environments, especially given the argument about Ant requiring more recent JDK version.

There is a page dedicated to that in each version of IvyDE:
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/ivyde/history/latest-milestone/compatibility.html

We would indeed need one for Ivy.

Nicolas

Re: Java version of Ivy/IvyDE

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.
Le 2 sept. 2013 à 15:40, Jan Matèrne (jhm) <ap...@materne.de> a écrit :

>> I would vote for supporting Java 6 and then indicating on the website
>> which ant + ivy/ivyDE version combination is needed to support pre-JDK
>> 1.6 environments, especially given the argument about Ant requiring
>> more recent JDK version.
>
> +1
> Like [1] for Ant.
>

>>> As discussed with the Java requirement of Ant, Java 5 is deprecated
>> too, and I for instance cannot run it anymore on my machine. So I would
>> suggest to jump directly to require Java 6.
>
> For Ant there wasn't a vote that I am aware of.
> My last information is that Ant requires 1.5 [1], but there was a discussion [2] of moving to 1.6.

You're right, there was just a discussion. My phrasing was not clear. I was not talking about current Ant requirements, I was just referring to the arguments in the discussion.

Nicolas

Re: AW: Java version of Ivy/IvyDE

Posted by Maarten Coene <ma...@yahoo.com>.
For Ivy we should stick to the same minimal JDK version as Ant. (JDK 1.5)

For IvyDE we could upgrade to the mimimal JDK version required for Eclipse. (JDK 1.6)

So:

[ ] we should continue to support Java 1.4
[X] we should make Ivy require Java 5
[X] we should make IvyDE require Java 6

Maarten

________________________________
> I would vote for supporting Java 6 and then indicating on the website
> which ant + ivy/ivyDE version combination is needed to support pre-JDK
> 1.6 environments, especially given the argument about Ant requiring
> more recent JDK version.

+1
Like [1] for Ant.

AW: Java version of Ivy/IvyDE

Posted by "Jan Matèrne (jhm)" <ap...@materne.de>.
> I would vote for supporting Java 6 and then indicating on the website
> which ant + ivy/ivyDE version combination is needed to support pre-JDK
> 1.6 environments, especially given the argument about Ant requiring
> more recent JDK version.

+1
Like [1] for Ant.

Re: Java version of Ivy/IvyDE

Re: Java version of Ivy/IvyDE

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.
I have just committed a page in Ivy's doc about compatibility, see r1538473.

About IvyDE, I'll change it after the next release.

Nicolas

Re: Java version of Ivy/IvyDE

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.

Re: Java version of Ivy/IvyDE