Posted to apreq-dev@httpd.apache.org by Jonathan Vanasco <ap...@2xlp.com> on 2007/02/21 18:31:04 UTC

issue when browser sends server-side image map info

1) Yes, I know server-side image maps are 1996.  But they're still
part of the HTML spec , and not deprecated

====
	http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/objects.html#h-13.6.2

	The location clicked is passed to the server as follows. The user
agent derives a new URI from the URI specified by the href attribute
of the A element, by appending `?' followed by the x and y
coordinates, separated by a comma. The link is then followed using
the new URI. For instance, in the given example, if the user clicks
at the location x=10, y=27 then the derived URI is "http://
www.acme.com/cgi-bin/competition?10,27".
	User agents that do not offer the user a means to select specific
coordinates (e.g., non-graphical user agents that rely on keyboard
input, speech-based user agents, etc.) should send the coordinates
"0,0" to the server when the link is activated.
====

2) The issue:

	lets say we have this url :

		http://www.acme.com/cgi-bin/competition

	it gets rewritten as:

		http://www.acme.com/cgi-bin/competition?10,27

	but, if we have this url:

		http://www.acme.com/cgi-bin/competition?token=a

	it gets rewritten as:

		http://www.acme.com/cgi-bin/competition?token=a?10,27

	which then kills the parser --

		print $apr->param('token')
		a?10,27

	i think the spirit of the spec was to have
		http://www.acme.com/cgi-bin/competition?10,27&token=a
	but the language and implementations give
		http://www.acme.com/cgi-bin/competition?token=a?10,27

	which will break just about every param knon to man.

	i know this isn't a 'bug' -- its because the HTTP rfc and HTML spec
have this glaring discrepancy.

	that said, i think it would be nice if libapreq would remove

	from uris before parsing...

	and perhaps make that info available by another function ? (i strip
it out with regex off an unparsed URI already , so that would just be
icing on the cake )

// Jonathan Vanasco