Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2007/05/08 22:31:22 UTC

[Lenya Wiki] Update of "TestDrivingLenya1.4-HEAD" by JörnNettingsmeier

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Lenya Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by JörnNettingsmeier:
http://wiki.apache.org/lenya/TestDrivingLenya1%2e4-HEAD

The comment on the change is:
obsolete

- If you feel adventurous, you might want to play with the latest development version of Lenya, even if you are a mere mortal like me and not a Lenya committer and Java Wizard. Here's a page where I will collect my findings and all the help I got from folks on the Lenya mailing lists. - JörnNettingsmeier
+ deleted

- == Why use 1.4? ==
-
- Simple. Because it's the latest and greatest, and open source is always more fun at the bleeding edge. :-D
-
- When I asked whether it would be safe and sane to adopt 1.4 for a project that is due by christmas 2005 (and indicated my willingness to deal with the occasional problem or rough edge), GregorRothfuss said:
-  ''"the data should stay pretty stable, while the code might not. recently, a jcr import usecase was added that might help with future migration scenarios. with your deadlines, i would strongly recommend 1.4."''
-
- Well, it's two months later now, and 1.4 is nowhere near a release (although pretty usable), but here we go :)
-
- == Prerequisites ==
-
- For testing, I created a directory /srv/lenya, where my test installation will live. I also created a user and group "lenya" with no login permissions, so that I can run Lenya as that user. If it ever gets compromised, it buys me time to react, since the attacker will have very limited rights at the beginning and will need to exploit further weaknesses before s/he can do anything interesting to my box.
-
- I strongly recommend to lurk on the Lenya user and devel mailing list while you're test-driving 1.4-HEAD, and possibly even to subscribe to the commits list to keep track of SVN changes.
-
- === Getting Lenya ===
-
- First, you need to check out the latest source code of Lenya-1.4:
- {{{
-  yourhost:/srv/lenya # svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lenya/trunk lenya_1_4_X
- }}}
- (Check the "official" SVN documentation at http://lenya.apache.org/1_4/installation/subversion.html in case the procedure changes)
-
- === Getting Cocoon ===
-
- As of 2006-03-03, Cocoon has been included in the Lenya repository via the SVN "externals" mechanism, i.e. you no longer need to download it separately.
-
- === Configuring the Lenya Build ===
-
- Under Linux, call the configure script:
-
- {{{
-  yourhost:/srv/lenya # ./configure.sh
- }}}
-
- You will be prompted for some configuration options that are self-explaining.
-
-  FIXME: Windows?
-
- === Building ===
-
- Now all that's left to do is
- {{{
-  yourhost:/srv/lenya/lenya_1_4_X # ./build.sh
- }}}
- Grab a coffee while it compiles.
-
- Lenya needs to write to the filesystem to store the pages you create, so you need to do a '''chown -R lenya:lenya /srv/lenya''' now.
-  ''FIXME: This is not good security practice - only the subtree that actually gets written to should be writable for user Lenya, not the code. This problem is currently being addressed by the Lenya developers: see HowToOutsourcePublicationContent.''
-
- === Migrate the example publications ===
-
- Lenya has recently switched to a flat, UUID-based document storage backend. The example publications are still in the old format, though, so you need to migrate them before you run Lenya:
-
- {{{
-  yourhost:/srv/lenya/lenya_1_4_X # ./build.sh module.test -Dmodule=org.apache.lenya.modules.migration
- }}}
-
- === Go! ===
-
- Start your brand-new, bleeding-edge Lenya with
- {{{
-  yourhost:/srv/lenya/lenya_1_4_X # su -c "./lenya.sh servlet" lenya
- }}}
- Surf to yourhost:8888 and enjoy.
-
- Remember to repeat this procedure at least once a week, lest the bleeding edge effect wear off :-D
-
- === Updating and rebuilding ===
-
- After the initial svn checkout, updates are very fast. Just do
- {{{
-  yourhost:/srv/lenya # cd lenya_1_4_X
-  yourhost:/srv/lenya/lenya_1_4_X # svn update .
- }}}
- Then do a '''./build.sh''' in the lenya_1_4_X directory. If you encounter problems during the build, try '''./build.sh clean''' in the lenya tree before you build. Back up your publication data first, just in case. There is an entry in build.properties that tells the build process to leave your content alone when cleaning up, but it might not cover all your modifications.
-
-
- ["RandomThingsLearnedWhilePlayingWith1.4HEAD"]
-