Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de> on 2008/02/10 15:02:40 UTC

site deployment

On 10.02.2008, at 14:50, Erik Abele wrote:

> Btw, we really need to change the deployment for the website from
> Maven scp to a SVN checkout - this is a) a infra requirement [1]
> and b) will make sure that those things don't happen. The only
> downside is that we need to keep a copy of the generated stuff in
> SVN but that was discussed to length already and we don't really
> need to re-hash that.
> [1] http://www.apache.org/dev/project-site.html

Any other opinions and/or takers for that?

I'm a bit limited re generating all the sites since I don't have all
the deps installed (namely Maven1) but I'm happy to do the checkout
on people.a.o as soon as we have all the stuff in SVN...

Cheers,
Erik

Re: site deployment

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de>.
On 17.02.2008, at 20:10, Roland Weber wrote:

> Hi Erik,
>
>>> Btw, we really need to change the deployment for the website from
>>> Maven scp to a SVN checkout - this is a) a infra requirement [1]
>>> and b) will make sure that those things don't happen. The only
>>> downside is that we need to keep a copy of the generated stuff in
>>> SVN but that was discussed to length already and we don't really
>>> need to re-hash that.
>>> [1] http://www.apache.org/dev/project-site.html
>> Any other opinions and/or takers for that?
>
> In due time, I am willing to take care of a part of that.
> Due time means not February, _maybe_ March. The part I would
> take care of is deploying the main and component level site
> via SVN.

Ok.

> I will not waste time with deploying the module level site
> via SVN. Whenever we rename or move a class, we would have
> to manually update the SVN contents of the generated JavaDocs
> and cross-referenced sources to get rid of the old artifact.
> To make matters worse, the cross-referenced sources need
> different SVN keywords so the source values are not replaced.
> I'd rather remove the module-level site than try to maintain
> the generated information in SVN.

Yep, I understand - we could also simply svn:ignore those in the
target dirs and mvn-deploy them only when necessary.

> For the legacy site, I don't have a problem with that. The code
> is not changing much anymore, so it remains a one-time effort.
> But IIRC, Maven 1 has poor staging support. Maybe I'll have to
> use Maven deployment to localhost and a few symbolic links to
> get the pages into a subversion controlled directory.

:-)

Did I mention how crappy Maven feels for website-related stuff? Maybe
we should switch this crap to Forrest, Anakia or something comletely
different... what are other projects doing?

> You mentioned the possibility of running nightly builds directly
> on people.apache.org. Could and should we use that to generate
> the module-level subsites on a weekly or even daily basis there?
> Then we don't have to deploy those at all.

Hmm, that would be another possibility but I'm a bit concerned with
failing builds etc...

Cheers,
Erik

Re: site deployment

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Erik,

>> Btw, we really need to change the deployment for the website from
>> Maven scp to a SVN checkout - this is a) a infra requirement [1] and
>> b) will make sure that those things don't happen. The only downside is
>> that we need to keep a copy of the generated stuff in SVN but that was
>> discussed to length already and we don't really need to re-hash that.
>> [1] http://www.apache.org/dev/project-site.html
>
> Any other opinions and/or takers for that?

In due time, I am willing to take care of a part of that.
Due time means not February, _maybe_ March. The part I would
take care of is deploying the main and component level site
via SVN.
I will not waste time with deploying the module level site
via SVN. Whenever we rename or move a class, we would have
to manually update the SVN contents of the generated JavaDocs
and cross-referenced sources to get rid of the old artifact.
To make matters worse, the cross-referenced sources need
different SVN keywords so the source values are not replaced.
I'd rather remove the module-level site than try to maintain
the generated information in SVN.

For the legacy site, I don't have a problem with that. The code
is not changing much anymore, so it remains a one-time effort.
But IIRC, Maven 1 has poor staging support. Maybe I'll have to
use Maven deployment to localhost and a few symbolic links to
get the pages into a subversion controlled directory.

You mentioned the possibility of running nightly builds directly
on people.apache.org. Could and should we use that to generate
the module-level subsites on a weekly or even daily basis there?
Then we don't have to deploy those at all.

cheers,
   Roland

Re: site deployment

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de>.
On 10.02.2008, at 21:24, Roland Weber wrote:

> Hi Erik,
>
>>> Btw, we really need to change the deployment for the website from
>>> Maven scp to a SVN checkout - this is a) a infra requirement [1]
>>> and b) will make sure that those things don't happen. The only
>>> downside is that we need to keep a copy of the generated stuff in
>>> SVN but that was discussed to length already and we don't really
>>> need to re-hash that.
>>> [1] http://www.apache.org/dev/project-site.html
>> Any other opinions and/or takers for that?
>> I'm a bit limited re generating all the sites since I don't have
>> all the deps installed (namely Maven1) but I'm happy to do the
>> checkout on people.a.o as soon as we have all the stuff in SVN...
>
> Is that a requirement for _all_ of the page? Including
> the generated JavaDocs and cross-referenced sources?
> I was hoping we could get away with just the main site,
> and maybe the main part of the 3.x site. Where the real
> content is, as opposed to the stuff generated from the
> source code.

To get the ball rolling again: It'd be nice to have everything in SVN
but if that is impractical then the main site(s) would be enough I
guess.

> My idea was to use Maven 2 for staging to a local
> directory that is in the Subversion tree.

Wouldn't it work to simply build the sites as usual (mvn site:site),
then check in the target directories and pull those onto
people.apache.org? It'd be fine if the different component sites are
not aggregated into a single SVN location, we can pull all that
together when checking it out...

Will try to carve out some time to experiment with all that...

Cheers,
Erik

Re: site deployment

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Erik,

>> Btw, we really need to change the deployment for the website from
>> Maven scp to a SVN checkout - this is a) a infra requirement [1] and
>> b) will make sure that those things don't happen. The only downside is
>> that we need to keep a copy of the generated stuff in SVN but that was
>> discussed to length already and we don't really need to re-hash that.
>> [1] http://www.apache.org/dev/project-site.html
>
> Any other opinions and/or takers for that?
>
> I'm a bit limited re generating all the sites since I don't have all the
> deps installed (namely Maven1) but I'm happy to do the checkout on
> people.a.o as soon as we have all the stuff in SVN...

Is that a requirement for _all_ of the page? Including
the generated JavaDocs and cross-referenced sources?
I was hoping we could get away with just the main site,
and maybe the main part of the 3.x site. Where the real
content is, as opposed to the stuff generated from the
source code.

My idea was to use Maven 2 for staging to a local
directory that is in the Subversion tree. But I won't
have time to try for the rest of the month, probably
longer.

cheers,
   Roland