Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org> on 2021/09/16 20:50:37 UTC

Upcoming Maven 3.8.3

Folks,

all important tickets for Maven 3.8.2 have been addressed in maven-3.8.x
branch.

There are only three issues left:
* MNG-7235: In the works and requires review
* MNG-7253: Should be a no-brainer to merge
* MNG-7212: Very hard for me to tell for two reasons: (1) I don't want
it to intermingle with Falko Modler's subsequent patch, (2) I'd like to
see a real failing usecase where this is required. Ultimately, I am
really inclined to back this out for 3.8.4 if necessary.

Here you will find a precompiled version based on
8c66edc0417f37540b3a6ef4b266ff88bdbd8327:
http://home.apache.org/~michaelo/maven/3.8.x/

Please test and let me know whether you still see errors. If I don't
read any objections I will start the new release somewhere around 2021-W39.

Michael

Re: Upcoming Maven 3.8.3

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Maybe it was the concerns that inherited thread local will leak and likely
keep the issue you can hit maven project methods without coming from an
initialized thread and for a plain threadlocal the fact it is never
resetted (so leaks too even if not crazy in terms of mem and this one is
solvable compared to an inherited flavor which is uncontrolled), and has
the same issue that depending your thread path you can miss the value using
maven project (in a scripting based plugin or lazily init context for ex).
A maven project artifacts should be thread safe generally speaking but also
shared - it is why it can go through threads actually - so think thread
safety shouldbe better handled.
The mitigation to accept such a risky impl was to not enable it in
concurrency=1 to keep the old behavior but was not done in 3.8.x AFAIK so
maybe it would need more love before another iso release?

Hope it was what you had in mind.

Romain Manni-Bucau

Re: Upcoming Maven 3.8.3

Posted by Falko Modler <f....@gmx.net>.