Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2002/12/06 21:23:28 UTC

Filtering during SMTP protocol Handling (was: My first contact with James)

> I think that putting mail handling rules in the SMTP dialog
> handler instead of the processor would be a bad trade off to
> make.

I had some ideas on this a while back that I think are worth revisiting in
the v3 timeframe.  One is deferring the final response from the SMTP handler
until some point during mailet processing.  Notice that I've not suggested
anything specific in the mechanism, other than that we'd use normal
matchers/mailets and the SMTP handler would be informed of the correct
status code, rather than assume success upon posting.

Personally, I've thought this through further, but we'll get to it on
james-dev after the 2.1 release.

	--- Noel