Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com> on 2001/01/30 06:31:05 UTC

[VOTE] Mailing lists cleanup

At the Xerces-J Workshop in October, it was suggested that we
move the current xerces-j-dev mailing list to xerces-j-users.  It
was also suggest that we then create 2 new lists, xerces-j-dev
and xerces2-jdev.

So for a belated new years resolution, here's a call for 3 votes

1. rename xerces-j-dev to xerces-j-users
2. create a blank xerces-j-dev
3. create a xerces2-jdev

Please vote!

Ted

Re: [VOTE] Mailing lists cleanup

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
What is see is:

a bunch of +1's for xerces-j-user
a bunch of +1's for xerces-j-dev,
a -1 for xerces-j2-dev or whatever it is

So if the votes don't change, we'll get
xerces-j-user
xerces-j-dev --- for now for all xerces versions development.

If we want to have a discussion on xerces2-j-dev, we can do that.
I mostly care about separating the user and developer lists.

Posted by Arnaud Le Hors <le...@us.ibm.com>.

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.

Posted by Edwin Goei <Ed...@eng.sun.com>.
> Ted Leung wrote:
>
> At the Xerces-J Workshop in October, it was suggested that we
> move the current xerces-j-dev mailing list to xerces-j-users.  It
> was also suggest that we then create 2 new lists, xerces-j-dev
> and xerces2-jdev.
>
> So for a belated new years resolution, here's a call for 3 votes

I believe this was voted on at least once before (probably twice) and
passed before, but I'll cast my vote again...

> 1. rename xerces-j-dev to xerces-j-users

+1, prefer the name "xerces-j-user" to be consistent with most other
apache list names

> 2. create a blank xerces-j-dev

+1

> 3. create a xerces2-jdev

+1, prefer the name "xerces2-j-dev" to be consistent with "xerces-j-dev"

-Edwin

Re: [VOTE] Mailing lists cleanup

Posted by Bob Jamison <rj...@lincom-asg.com>.
Ted Leung wrote:

> At the Xerces-J Workshop in October, it was suggested that we
>
> move the current xerces-j-dev mailing list to xerces-j-users.  It
>
> was also suggest that we then create 2 new lists, xerces-j-dev
>
> and xerces2-jdev.
>

> So for a belated new years resolution, here's a call for 3 votes
>

> 1. rename xerces-j-dev to xerces-j-users

+1  sounds good

> 2. create a blank xerces-j-dev

+1  ditto

> 3. create a xerces2-jdev

+0   Only my poor opinion, but I believe it would be a big backwards step
to split xerces1.x and xerces2 discussions.

Such a division might engender on this list the same kind of schism
that is threatening to infect the jakarta-tomcat lists between tomcat3.x
and tomcat4.
We use xerces1.x every day and love it, but I believe that
merging the xerces and crimson families together is very important.

> Please vote!
>

> Ted

Bob

Re: [VOTE] Mailing lists cleanup

Posted by Arnaud Le Hors <le...@us.ibm.com>.
> Ted Leung wrote:
>
> So for a belated new years resolution, here's a call for 3 votes
>
> 1. rename xerces-j-dev to xerces-j-users

+1 (-user is fine as well, if it makes it more consistent with other
mailing lists)

> 2. create a blank xerces-j-dev

+1

> 3. create a xerces2-jdev

-1. The name is wrong and I agree with Libor, once all the user related
traffic moves to another list all the dev traffic can most likely stay
on the same list.
I'd vote -0 to xerces2-j-dev if everybody else really insist on having a
separate list.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - IBM Cupertino, XML Strategy Group

Posted by Petr Kuzel <Pe...@netbeans.com>.
* rename xerces-j-dev to xerces-j-users
  Vote +1
* create a blank xerces-j-dev