Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de> on 2007/08/08 14:15:18 UTC

Moving to Java 1.5?

Hi all,

our upcoming (hopefully very soon) 2.2 release will still
be Java 1.4 compatible.  We're currently having a discussion
on the development list if for the next version, we should
move to Java 1.5.  This would mean that future UIMA versions
would no longer be able to run in Java 1.4, but would
require 1.5 or newer.

Java 1.4 is getting quite long in the tooth, and most people
have moved.  Java 1.5 brought many changes and improvements
which we would like to be able to exploit in UIMA.

So my question is: would this cause major headaches for
anybody around here?  Anybody still committed to Java 1.4
for the foreseeable future?

The corresponding uima-dev mail thread is here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/uima-dev%40incubator.apache.org/msg03860.html

--Thilo

Re: Moving to Java 1.5?

Posted by candel <ca...@titus.u-strasbg.fr>.
Andrew Serff wrote:

> I vote for 1.5!  We have no need for 1.4 compatibility.  I'm actually
> running it on Java SE 6...so I'm good.
> Andrew
> Thilo Goetz wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> our upcoming (hopefully very soon) 2.2 release will still
>> be Java 1.4 compatible.  We're currently having a discussion
>> on the development list if for the next version, we should
>> move to Java 1.5.  This would mean that future UIMA versions
>> would no longer be able to run in Java 1.4, but would
>> require 1.5 or newer.
>>
>> Java 1.4 is getting quite long in the tooth, and most people
>> have moved.  Java 1.5 brought many changes and improvements
>> which we would like to be able to exploit in UIMA.
>>
>> So my question is: would this cause major headaches for
>> anybody around here?  Anybody still committed to Java 1.4
>> for the foreseeable future?
>>
>> The corresponding uima-dev mail thread is here:
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/uima-dev%40incubator.apache.org/msg03860.html
>>

>> --Thilo

Already running on 1.5, thank you for asking ;)

RE: Moving to Java 1.5?

Posted by Scott Songlin Piao <sc...@manchester.ac.uk>.
As I know Java 1.5 is a kind of norm nowadays - I myself have been using Java 1.5.X for the past two years, so I think the later version of UIMA should move to 1.5 as soon as possible.

Scott Piao

Re: Moving to Java 1.5?

Posted by Andrew Serff <li...@serff.net>.

Thilo Goetz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> our upcoming (hopefully very soon) 2.2 release will still
> be Java 1.4 compatible.  We're currently having a discussion
> on the development list if for the next version, we should
> move to Java 1.5.  This would mean that future UIMA versions
> would no longer be able to run in Java 1.4, but would
> require 1.5 or newer.
>
> Java 1.4 is getting quite long in the tooth, and most people
> have moved.  Java 1.5 brought many changes and improvements
> which we would like to be able to exploit in UIMA.
>
> So my question is: would this cause major headaches for
> anybody around here?  Anybody still committed to Java 1.4
> for the foreseeable future?
>
> The corresponding uima-dev mail thread is here:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/uima-dev%40incubator.apache.org/msg03860.html
>
> --Thilo

RE: Moving to Java 1.5?

Posted by ma...@thomson.com.
We would welcome a move to 1.5.

Marc

Re: Moving to Java 1.5?

Posted by Matthew Campbell <mc...@syrres.com>.
I'm with Yoshinobu.  I've caught myself looking for generics several
times in the API, and they would be a welcome addition.  That said, I'd
welcome a move to 1.5 myself.

-Matt

Re: Moving to Java 1.5?

Posted by Yoshinobu KANO <ka...@is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp>.

--
Yoshinobu KANO
kano@is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp

Re: Moving to Java 1.5?

Posted by "J. William Murdock" <bi...@murdocks.org>.
I would favor moving to Java 1.5.

--
Bill Murdock, PhD
UIMA User (but not a UIMA developer or official spokesperson)

RE: Moving to Java 1.5?

Posted by Torsten Zesch <ze...@tk.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
We also vote for 1.5.
This would enable some interesting new features, e.g. a better linking
of annotators and descriptors through Java annotations.

Torsten