Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Rocco Scappatura <Ro...@sttspa.it> on 2007/02/27 17:22:14 UTC

veryfing the score of a message

Hello,

I would like to verify the score of a message that sendmail left in
queue for some reason.

Normally, I have two messages in queue directory:

- qfXXXXX
- dfXXXXX

Could I 'cat' qfXXXXX and dfXXXXX in a temp file 'tmp'

and

than calculate the score so:

spamassassin -t < tmp

?

Or I will get a wrong score?

TIA,

rocsca

RE: veryfing the score of a message

Posted by Rocco Scappatura <Ro...@sttspa.it>.
> > Well what puzzles me is, is the message in queue, waiting
> to be sent
> > to someone within your domain, or is it outbound?

to be sent outbound..

> Why are you wanting
> > to manually scan it?

A user of mine try to send an email using my SMTP server, but he can't
send me the message which is blocked by my spam scanner (SA), in mbox
format.. (so that I can analyse it and find the cause of the blocking)
Neverthless I know the right way to control the scanning of that
message.. So I said it to send to an outbound address such that it
remains on the queue of the mail server and I can analyse it...

If you have a better method to solve my problem, it is wellcome!

Posted by Kelson <ke...@speed.net>.
maillist wrote:
> Well what puzzles me is, is the message in queue, waiting to be sent to
> someone within your domain, or is it outbound?  Why are you wanting to
> manually scan it?

I think you're confusing me with the person who originally posted the
question.  Putting this thread back on the list...

--
Kelson Vibber

Re: veryfing the score of a message

Posted by Kelson <ke...@speed.net>.
maillist wrote:
> I believe that sendmail doesn't have the headers assembled at that
> point.  So, if you do what you mentioned above, then you will not get
> the correct score.

Sort of.  The df file contains the message body, and the qf file
contains the headers... but they're not in the normal message format.
Each header is prefixed with an H and some possibly-blank status info
surrounded by two question marks:

H??From: blah@example.com
H?x?Full-Name: Somebody or Other

The qf file also includes other envelope and queue data, such as how
many times Sendmail has tried to deliver the message, and what responses
it's received.

It should be possible to extract the headers from the queue file, but
simply concatenating the files wouldn't do it.

Off the top of my head, maybe something like this?

grep '^H' | cut -f3- -d'?'

Untested, YMMV.

--
Kelson Vibber

Re: veryfing the score of a message

Posted by maillist <ma...@emailacs.com>.
Rocco Scappatura wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to verify the score of a message that sendmail left in
> queue for some reason.
>
> Normally, I have two messages in queue directory:
>
> - qfXXXXX
> - dfXXXXX
>
> Could I 'cat' qfXXXXX and dfXXXXX in a temp file 'tmp'
>
> and
>
> than calculate the score so:
>
> spamassassin -t < tmp
>
> ?
>
> Or I will get a wrong score?
>
> TIA,
>
> rocsca

I believe that sendmail doesn't have the headers assembled at that
point.  So, if you do what you mentioned above, then you will not get
the correct score.

-=Aubrey=-